Featured Antique tapestry question

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by AusssiePhil, Feb 20, 2021.

1. AusssiePhil

AusssiePhil New Member

10502BDB-FA73-4290-BDB2-2DD871C7B1A8.jpeg Hi everyone. I have a question about an antique (or vintage?) tapestry that I inherited from my great grandmother when she passed away about 35years ago. Her family was from Germany so I’ve always assumed the tapestry was German but I really have no idea. Would anyone be able to identify roughly how old it might be, where it’s from and what the story is that it’s telling? Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Doesn't quite look old enough to be antique (i.e. 100 years old or older.) Let's see what others think. In the meantime... Would/could you post a photograph of the back? That would help to date.

Debora

kyratango and KSW like this.
  3. AusssiePhil

AusssiePhil New Member

695265A5-48A2-453B-8981-A342158A0B0B.jpeg
    Hi Debora,
    Thanks for your message. This is the back

ritzyvintage, KSW and Debora like this.
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

is it certified that it came from Germany ? the figures look rather English.

KSW likes this.
  5. AusssiePhil

AusssiePhil New Member

No, definitely not certified that it’s from Germany! I had just always assumed it was German because of my great grandmothers ancestry. It could be from anywhere! I’m very curious to know any information about origin, date etc. I know nothing about tapestry so even basic information is appreciated :)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    judy and KSW like this.
  6. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

It's machine woven, I don't think it qualifies as an antique though, It looks about 1950-60's.

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say it's as old as the characters portrayed, which appear to be Shakespearian/Elizabethan in style. It could also be Austrian/Bavarian if its from Germany? It certainly as "some" age to it, as the original colours have age related wear due to light exposure over a length of time.

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  8. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

most post WW2 ones were made in Belgium and are - sadly - often found in antique shops for fantasy prices.

ritzyvintage, Figtree3 and judy like this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

There are animals in almost every picture, and plants are also featured in many. The style in which the humans are "drawn" in thread does seem to be from the mid 20th century, or about there. Maybe just celebrating the joys of nature? And using characters from an earlier era... celebrating a more nature-oriented time several centuries ago?

judy, Darkwing Manor and Lucille.b like this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The striped reverse indicates that it was machine-made not hand-made. As above, many of these came out of Belgium in the between-the-wars years. The costumes are Tudor-esque. The frame appears to be original. What sets your great-grandmother's tapestry apart is the ribboned grid pattern and the charming vignettes with flora and fauna. If I had to guess, I'd date it to the 1930s around about so vintage, not antique. Value is sentimental as not a collecting field where there is much interest.

Debora

2manybooks and Figtree3 like this.
  12. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I think this is rather a nice thing, whatever the origins. I've seen loads of Belgian tapestries over the years but never this design.

judy and Figtree3 like this.
  13. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Perhaps a lovely sentimental piece evoking the romance of Elizabethan times, possibly for your new c. 1920s Tudor Revival home?

judy and Figtree3 like this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I don't think it's meant to evoke England specifically. The architecture is not English.

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  15. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

The style of the faces sure gives me a 1920's feel ..... just my 2 cents worth . The Conservators at Hearst Castle are the tapestry experts for sure ... such amazing items Hearst Castle.

Figtree3 and Darkwing Manor like this.
  16. AusssiePhil

AusssiePhil New Member

Thank you so much to everyone who has taken the time to offer some comments! I’m not looking to sell it so I’m not concerned about the monetary value of it but I’ve always been curious as to how old it might be & where it might be from. I really appreciate people taking the time to offer their insight. I find it all really interesting and am so grateful, so thank you ☺️

2manybooks likes this.
  17. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

do you mean the collected atrocities in California ? or do you mean a real castle ?

18. Darkwing Manor

Atrocities?

19. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I forgot what sensitive character you are.
    but am I allowed to call it fake castle; or do you think that it should be already loked upon as antique because Hearst started to think about it in 1919 ?
    Hearst rings a bell, I think I'd call it Führerhauptquartier for California...

20. Darkwing Manor

I'm not sure what provoked your irrelevant outburst, but Firemandk suggested contacting professional conservators of a well-known art collection. Nothing more.

Draft saved Draft deleted