Antique Terra Cotta?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bluebutterfly55, Jun 16, 2019.

1. I acquired this trinket box back in the mid-1960's from a lady who lived next door to my grandparents. She was an antique collector, so just about anything she had was old. I had admired this box so she gave it to me as a gift.

I'm trying to I.D. the markings on the bottom as to age, value, etc.
    I've searched online and haven't been able to find anything identical to these markings. The box doesn't look like typical terra cotta, it's lighter in color.

So, does anyone know what the mark of Terra Cotta Disigna E.F. signifies? Is it Italian? What is E.F.? Thanks for your help

Attached Files:

2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I can see a picture of the mark but not the box.
    Don

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

As you would have guessed, Italian for terra cotta design. Now maker EF?

4. This is a photo of the trinket box. In looking at the mark on the bottom, I think it is Di Signa (from Signa), Signa being a town in Italy. So, I have now figured that out. I still can't figure out what E.F. is. Thanks for any further info on this!

Attached Files:

judy likes this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Think you are correct. I thought I saw faint impresssions after the upright that would make an E & did not know Signa was a place name. :)

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

An internet search led me to the website below, maybe it is the same manufacturer? A quote:

"the fabled Florentine company Manifattura di Signa originally located outside of Florence. During its life (founded in 1895) the workshop developed a reputation for the faithful recreation of Classical and Renaissance designs suitable for use in gardens and interiors."

https://carlmooreantiques.com/pair-...hairs-circa-1930-by-manifattura-di-signa.html

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted