Featured antique tiles???

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by hunt2, Mar 1, 2024.

1. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, i have got this tile tableau and wondered if it is antique and who the person on the horse depicts??? IMG_20240301_152524428.jpg IMG_20240301_152555090.jpg IMG_20240301_152614629.jpg

Figtree3, ulilwitch, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Figtree3, ulilwitch, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous Dutch tableau, yes antique, and manganese. Manganese tiles are always worth more that blue ones.

The rider is clearly an important 17th century man, but he doesn't look like stadhouder Willem II. Given the opposition to the House of Orange-Nassau at the time, there were many that were close to his rank.

4. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

oke thank you, is the tableau 18th or 19th century?

ulilwitch likes this.
  5. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
    ulilwitch and moreotherstuff like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

More like 17th or 18th I think. How thick are the tiles, in mm or cm?
    If you look closer, you'll find that he looks very different.;)
    Mos only posted it to show that it was the classic way of depicting riders in those days. As he said "Not a particularly unusual pose".

Figtree3 and ulilwitch like this.
  7. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

yes i saw that on a second glance, the tiles are 6 mm thick

8. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

IMG_20240301_181902916~2.jpg Are all the tiles original or are there some that are later made?

ulilwitch likes this.
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Not likely. I was just looking for an example of the composition with the rider not wearing a hat.

ulilwitch likes this.
  10. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

Yes so it is still a mystery who it is, and the pose is that 17th or 18th century or both periods

ulilwitch and moreotherstuff like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

That means that they are later than I initially thought, sorry about that. 18th century at the earliest, but with those clean backs probably a lot later. Probably late 19th, but very nice. And as I said, manganese, that purplish colour, is sought after.
    It doesn't matter who it is, I don't even know if they intended it to be a specific person. The subject is 17th century imo. The tiles later, but it is a classic subject.

12. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

i just heard from a tile collector that it is a fake, do you all agree with that?

13. Any Jewelry

I agree in the sense that it isn't 17th century. But I don't think it was intended as a fake.
    If someone wanted to fake a 17th century tile, they would have made it thicker and added some blobs of cement to the back.

There is a difference between something 'made in the style of', and a downright fake. Yours is 'made in the style of' imo.

14. Finnclouds

Finnclouds Well-Known Member

Sorry to butt in, but this was too much of a coincidence not to.

We just spent part of the afternoon installing this mural below in our backyard.
    (I need to clean up the surrounds after the cement dries a bit.)

New, but totally hand-made and -painted Portuguese tile, in the old style. They are made in the old way from scratch — local clay, hand-rolled and cut and fired in old kilns in small factories. We’ve installed several before — these were the thickest so far. I didn’t measure them, but close to 20 millimeters, I’d say, though the thickness varies, as does their size, from tile to tile.

I don’t know if they make them the same way in the Netherlands, but it’s still a (somewhat) thriving industry here. But so is apparently stealing old tiles from buildings and selling them at flea markets…

20240301_205305.jpg

15. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Beautiful. What is it installed on?

16. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

yes possible.

17. Finnclouds

Finnclouds Well-Known Member

The wall of our apartment building. It’s totally dark outside so the outside light made the yellow paint look yellower than in real life.

We have a private terrace and my DH really likes the Portuguese murals. Fortunately, we are running out of space.

kentworld, Any Jewelry and lvetterli like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted