Antique Toys, MCM Art and Furniture, Advertising, etc. Sale - IL Nov. 1-3

Discussion in 'Sell' started by verybrad, Oct 28, 2019.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I can't wait till next week when we learn how well the sale went!! I am not expecting dollar figures, but just general information like how big was the crowd waiting to get into the sale, how much of the big ticket items got sold in the first day & what kind of comments you got from the buyers.

I am assuming if he was buying for that long that means he was well known in the community & there will be interest from that aspect.

I wish you all much success!!!

dude, Christmasjoy, Aquitaine and 5 others like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This is one he did not do. It is also the only one with some artist information on it. I will try to get that information for you.

3. verybrad

We are going to start with 25 but think the place is large enough to handle more. It may depend on how many helpers we have.

dude, Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  4. verybrad

There is some truth to this but think the largest local draw is going to be the University of Illinois memorabilia. We have already had many calls about this. Calls about toys have come from all over the country and at least one buyer is flying in from out of state. Absentee buy offers are being taken and full price offers will be executed once the first 25 people have been through.

This sale is just the tip of the iceberg and many of the best items are not being offered in this sale. Most of the best advertising signs have been held back. What are, arguably, the best toys are being held for a subsequent sale. We also don't know what we are going to find yet. Give me another month and I will have more wonders to show.

dude, Christmasjoy, cxgirl and 10 others like this.
  5. verybrad

Large painting with children/bicycles was done by Garret Boone. Has a 1962 Indiana exhibition label on back.

6. verybrad

The sale starts tomorrow morning. There were already 3 people in line when I left at 3:30 PM this afternoon.

dude, Christmasjoy, cxgirl and 7 others like this.
  7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

OMG! :woot:

8. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

I love it. Sorry I don’t live closer so I could have a chance! Good luck with the sale.

9. verybrad

In a snowstorm no less :wideyed:

10. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Nothing surprises me about people anymore Brad ! Thats some real dedication there !

dude, Christmasjoy, Joe2007 and 2 others like this.
  11. verybrad

Off to the sale this AM. Last minute pricing found a few surprises. A 40s dodge truck toy that was a dealer promo was $950.00 on Worthpoint. We priced it $650, I believe, despite better condition. A couple of the Elvis posters were over $1000.00 each.

dude, Christmasjoy, Lucille.b and 4 others like this.
  12. NewEngland

Good luck! You’ll be exhausted tonight, but I would love to see pictures.

dude, Christmasjoy, verybrad and 3 others like this.
  13. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

It is Black Friday bargain hunting for antiquers. Hopefully there are no fisticuffs or shoppers trampled by rampaging hordes.

dude, Christmasjoy, verybrad and 4 others like this.
  14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Who was that tall headed Muppet??? BERT????? Bert_smile.jpg I think I see him sitting in that chair!!!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: Brad, You all have it VERY WELL put together and organized!!!!! BEST WISHES for it all going FANTASTIC!!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    dude, Christmasjoy, verybrad and 2 others like this.
  15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WELL, THAT'S AWESOME NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dude, Christmasjoy and verybrad like this.
  16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Good luck with the sale! Get some rest, then post updates!

dude, Christmasjoy, verybrad and 3 others like this.
  17. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I want to know how many were in line when you got there this morning!! :D:D:D

I can't wait to hear how it went, but I know you will be too busy & too exhausted to post much until Monday or after. :(:(

Take care of yourself & try to stay hydrated!! :happy::happy:

dude, Christmasjoy, verybrad and 5 others like this.
  18. verybrad

Sale went great today. About 60 people in line this morning when we opened. The first 25 got let in to shop first. The rest were all in within an hour or so. Traffic was pretty steady all day with a few buyers still in at closing.

All the MCM abstract art literally flew off the walls. Two buyers who had waited all night competed for all of it. The only left were the 3 collages and the one with the kids and bicycles. Much of the pottery also went within the first hour.

Toy buying was strong but most of the high end toys still remain. Most of the lunch boxes sold. Furniture was soft with a few cheaper pieces selling to dealers. All the best lamps sold. As expected, the Illini memorabilia sold well. The more traditional antiques did just fair.

All told, maybe 1/3 of the merchandise sold the first day. We expect tomorrow to be steady without the frenzy. Half price day Sunday expects to be strong since I know a lot of buyers still have their eyes on many of the toys. I expect the dealers to be in to scoop up most of the furniture at half price as well.

dude, Christmasjoy, Figtree3 and 5 others like this.
  19. NewEngland

Very interesting. I am surprised the kids/bicycle painting didn’t sell. That really caught my eye. Half-price day will be busy.

20. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Wow, what a sale:wideyed: Mind boggling to me that this is just some of what was owned by one person:)

Draft saved Draft deleted