Featured Antique Trade bead strand identification help

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by A-aron, Nov 21, 2018.

1. A-aron

A-aron Member

D1C8D84B-2C98-46E7-8DE5-C551ED5FE8BA.jpeg CEB39AFA-FE68-4A8A-8CB2-EB5FC26AF0E9.jpeg DD42AD4C-3888-4967-B1A2-DE1C3BCDACDD.jpeg 95F29C83-1C5D-4838-B83B-AB67E0401E1F.jpeg 3678CB3E-ED16-445B-8711-E0AF43C9963B.jpeg 9AB5547E-97FA-41A0-BCEE-0E07EC63FCBD.jpeg 546C9DFF-3BA0-4031-8C4B-9AE5FA938E86.jpeg C02A368B-32B8-42BD-8BC5-7B80045A7A01.jpeg 335B3F1B-9883-4E93-9F0F-1811891BE7F4.jpeg 40316503-22BA-4ED2-87F4-5B61E17BC5BD.jpeg Hello, I am curious to see if anyone can help me identify this item. I have tried doing research on these beads for the past few years and am hoping to gain some information about what this is. Some of the beads are made of bone, stone, different types of glass, and other materials I am unable to identify. I am also wondering if there are any resources that would be recommended, regarding information about beads and the different types of materials used throughout history. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

judy, pearlsnblume, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like an Ethiopian cross and possible "fake"dzi beads near it.A number of Venetian trade beads which may have come from the thousands of graves disturbed by looters in Africa.

2manybooks, A-aron and i need help like this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It looks like a fairly contemporary artisan assemblage, using antique and ethnic beads purchased from a specialty bead shop. If you can find such a shop in your area it might be the best place to start.

judy, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The necklace itself is more "vintage last week" than vintage. The Italian-made trade beads might be old, but the rest aren't. The cross is probably new too.

judy, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Lois Sherr Dubin: The History of Beads: From 30,000 B.C. to the Present. Harry N. Abrams, 1987.

judy, pearlsnblume, A-aron and 2 others like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Hippy Dippy....
    I covet the melon green chevron bead :hungry::hungry:....and others are nice.....but the stupid bone sea turtle gives the whole piece away as an assorted throw together with no way to tell where it's from...or when it was assembled ...........:(:(

judy and Bronwen like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It seems to be a mix of Asian and African beads, with a few possible European.

The cross is Ethiopian, as mentioned. It could be a Turkish or Chinese fake. Best to check it for silver content.
    The coin pearl in the triangular Chinese setting and the carved bone beads are Chinese.
    The inlaid beads are from Nepal, also used in other Himalayan regions.
    The brass beads are either India or Nepal.
    The etched eye beads, photos 3 and 4, are probably also Chinese, copies of Dzi style beads.
    The bottle green bead, photo 5, looks like a vintage European pony bead.
    The 'amber' bead could be bakelite.
    There are some West African krobo beads, powder glass beads often based on European trade beads, as well.

Giving my eyes a rest now, I'll get back to you later.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    A-aron, judy, 2manybooks and 3 others like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Back again.
    The 'painted' beads, photos 7 and 8 (hope I haven't lost count) look Indian (India) to me.
    The yellow bead with swirls is a krobo bead from West Africa, probably Ghana.
    The frosted pale green bead is African, made from shattered, discarded glass. I can't remember the correct term.
    The coveted green chevron bead could be European (Venetian), Indian, or Chinese, take your pick.;) All three regions have been making beautiful glass trade beads for a long time, including chevron beads. It is difficult to determine the region without seeing the entire bead, on its own.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    A-aron, komokwa, judy and 3 others like this.
  9. evelyb30

The recycled glass? Powder glass.

i need help likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

That's it, simply recyled glass for the frosted pale green bead.:banghead:
    As you can see it is very difficult to reach my brain at the moment:wacky:, and when I do I have to untangle the spaghetti of information. On top of that someone in there keeps handing me the wrong terms.:dead:

2manybooks and i need help like this.
  11. evelyb30

Been there, done that on a daily basis. I have an old friend I haven't seen for a while. Do you think I could pull up her last name for love or money? I go to church with her daughter and son in law but... :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted