Featured Antique/Vintage Art Deco Czech Glass Perfume Bottle, Opinions, Advice, Please

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Vintage Maven, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Vintage Maven

Vintage Maven Well-Known Member

I found this antique/vintage Art Deco Czech frosted glass, black enamel hand-made 1930’s era perfume bottle up for sale. The asking price is about $281.00 Canadian. I was looking seriously at purchasing it. I was just looking for an expert opinion to see if the price was on par. I really do like it, and think it has the appearance of the genuine article, I think it’s a beautiful piece, and may follow through and buy it for my personal collection, because when I see something I want, I’ll usually get it. I don’t have adequate expertise on Czech collections, but I do recognize a nice item when I see it...any ideas regarding price negotiations, provenance etc would be welcome. ❤️Maven

*I hope the photos I attached are helpful, I know it’s a bit of a task to ultimately discern authenticity from them.

7BFDDBFB-C1FE-4D5E-ACBE-FB525DF30346.jpeg
    9EBD9D66-0749-406C-9469-E03DF42E8F55.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

It’s beautiful and very classy. Any markings on it?.
    Not sure what the exchange rate is but commenting on it’s value or provenance is above my pay grade anyway!
    How big is it?. Clever photography.

3. Vintage Maven

There is nothing discernible, as far as identifiers, except for the decorative etchings on the bottle itself. Here is a view of the bottom though. It is 6.2 inches high and 3.2 inches at the base. I pretty much want to purchase now lol.
    117F1CBC-15CB-4DD0-B7FC-DC4F6F9F4B86.jpeg

KikoBlueEyes and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I’d like to see some photos in good natural light before handing the money over. The moody dark background could be hiding a multitude of flaws. Don’t get me wrong , it’s lovely but I’d want to see good up close photos of the rim etc from both sides.

5. Vintage Maven

That is a very good point @KSW , I will request such images, if they cannot provide, then yes, it could be sketchy. I hope though, that the bottle is actually as it appears to be, I’m sort of entranced for some reason. ❤️

KikoBlueEyes, pearlsnblume and KSW like this.
  6. Vintage Maven

I should add these are the other views that were in the sale offer. But I shall request other images, as per what you have kindly suggested @KSW They may offer a better perspective on the bottle as far as true condition. I also want to be absolutely certain I would be purchasing 1930’s deco. Authenticity means a lot to me, along with the aesthetics.

D30D549E-B783-4F7D-B1D3-EF37DCFDDA32.jpeg C931D892-50FF-45DE-81B6-C2EE7F423EC0.jpeg

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree with KSW, those mood pictures are pretty but very sus.
    I don't know much about perfume bottles, but $281.00 Canadian seems very steep to me.
    163 UK pounds.:eek:

8. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Perhaps our Peggy can assist you
    @bercrystal
    she is the perfume bottle maven.

9. Vintage Maven

Thank You @pearlsnblume Hopefully @bercrystal will be able to shed a little more light on this subject. ❤️Maven

KSW and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Not to disparage your purchase, but I think If I saw this in an antique mall/shop I could see it priced at about $40-$60 or so. Agree with @Any Jewelry - a bit on the pricey side.

11. Vintage Maven

@blooey No, that’s great, thank you for your input. I certainly appreciate that❤️ I certainly would not want to overpay, or fall victim to fraudulent sales, I have not made the move to purchase yet.....Thank You, ❤️Maven

*I value & admire everyone’s opinion, or advice they may offer

KSW likes this.
  12. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

13. Vintage Maven

KSW and i need help like this.
  14. Vintage Maven

@i need help I think I may want to go the direction of actual authenticated Karl Palda. I will look for a vintage/antique dealer of said items. I like my assurance I am getting the real deal. ❤️Maven

KSW and i need help like this.
  15. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Personally, I think this is a later bottle done in an Art Deco style. I also agree with others that the price is a little high.

16. Vintage Maven

Thank You very much to all that have sounded-in on this.....My gratitude abounds ❤️

KSW likes this.
  17. Vintage Maven

I agree with you, now that another world has been opened up to me, as far as truly authentic. I am going to seek out a reputable curator for purchases. ❤️Maven

*I do like Palda’s work with perfume bottles & accessories, I am going to look seriously into purchasing some originals. The prices are big, but seem to be worth it, for the real deal. I am now able to discern the difference.

KSW likes this.
  18. Vintage Maven

Thank You @bercrystal @i need help Something like this would be more apropos❤️
    Certainly more my style....no stopping me now, my eyes have been opened! Time for some “serious” shopping....I won’t be back til’ the money’s all gone lol
    88E621BE-7D8A-499D-BAD0-5355108C0232.jpeg

KSW, blooey, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted