Featured Antique/Vintage Perfume Bottle,Look like Gold Dust in Glass

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by antiquelover69, May 4, 2023.

1. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

Antique/Vintage Perfume Bottle,Look like Gold Dust in Glass.Appears to have gold dust inside.Bottle is really beautiful,any idea who the maker is or company is.Another storage find. SAM_0987.JPG SAM_0988.JPG SAM_0989.JPG SAM_0990.JPG

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

kyratango, bercrystal, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

5. antiquelover69

6. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

@antiquelover69

@TallCakes is correct. :happy::happy:

This bottle is shown in the 1955 DeVilbiss catalog. It came in gold & silver crackle glass. The gold has the Tiger Eye stone & the silver one has a Moonstone.

The model number was S595-4 & the original retail price was $5.95.

The DeVilbiss Co. made only the hardware for their bottles & purchased the bottles from glass companies worldwide during their 60 years of selling perfume bottles. Most of the crackle glass bottles came from Morgantown.

This hardware is one of DeVilbiss' patented "Closure" models. They had several different models that all worked to seal the bottles so that when not in use it prevented air from getting into the bottle leading to evaporation of the perfume & it also prevented the bottle from leaking if it got tipped over.

This model worked by turning the ornamental Tiger Eye cap "one-half turn" to open the seal & reversing the process to seal the bottle.

BTW be extremely careful cleaning this bottle. Do not use any type of cleaning products inside because if you do you will be left with a clear crackled bottle. :eek::eek:

If you are going to sell it online & it has old perfume sludge inside I would leave it as is and then let the new owner deal with the cleaning.

I have several other bottles with this hardware but for some reason, the crackle bottles have never really appealed to me & no I can't explain why. :rolleyes::rolleyes::bag: :hilarious:

7. antiquelover69

Wow! thank you so much for that great information! I never would have found it!

8. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

You are very welcome!! :happy::happy: :kiss:

The crackle glass bottles were actually one of the most popular & longest-running styles of bottles that DeVilbiss used with their hardware. The first one is shown in the 1936 catalog & there were bottles sold through the 1950s & 1960s.

The shapes of the bottle changed as did the hardware & who supplied the bottle but that tells you there were lots of them produced. However, not all survived in as good of shape as yours looks to be. If you look through eBay & other online sites you will see many listed as clear crackle glass because someone cleaned it with a chemical cleaner.

They supposedly did some with rose & blue-colored interiors but I have never personally seen one.

Draft saved Draft deleted