Featured Antique wardrobe

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Rberr, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Rberr

Rberr Member

IMG_2960.JPG
    Found this beauty for $20. Was wondering if anyone knew anything about it? Guessing it's walnut. Fell in love with the grain. Thanks for looking!

2. Rberr

Rberr Member

3. Rberr

Rberr Member

4. Rberr

Rberr Member

5. Rberr

Rberr Member

6. silverthwaite II

silverthwaite II Well-Known Member

WOW!! Where do you shop?!

And I don't even like that style.

Brad is going to love it!

scoutshouse and lloyd249 like this.
  7. Rberr

Rberr Member

At an auction. Nobody was bidding on it. Guess they didn't want to lug the beast home lol

scoutshouse and yourturntoloveit like this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

English art deco wardrobe 1920s. Does look like burl walnut book-matched veneers. As you found, large pieces at auction are not faring well but that is beyond ridiculous. Think you got a steal at $20.00. I assume this breaks down? If so, not as big a deal to move as some.

9. Rberr

Rberr Member

Thanks for the info Brad! Much appreciated. Yes it breaks down. The left 2 are 1 solid piece and the right is single. Top and base are separate as well. We didn't know that when we were bidding on it. Thought I was in for a wrestle. Still a very heavy piece. I think the doors are solid. I will check for sure again, but don't think it's veneer. Probably wrong though lol. Thanks again!

scoutshouse and yourturntoloveit like this.
  10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't put this in a child's room, their over active imaginations may think the Aliens are coming for them and hiding in the closet doors:blackalien::blackalien::blackalien::eek:

upload_2017-6-8_23-22-55.png

Rberr, scoutshouse, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  11. silverthwaite II

silverthwaite II Well-Known Member

LOL! I saw that too, Cluttered. Along with the somewhat pre-Raphaelite graining...

And what are we all doing up at this hour?? :)

Rberr, scoutshouse, Aquitaine and 3 others like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

For $20 I would have bought it. My taste for the weird and wonderful I guess. And authorised by the city of Bath, of course;).

Rberr and scoutshouse like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's burr walnut, mirror cut slices veneer. Not Art Deco, it's a bit transitional: those handles are an older style, and the wavy top and shaped feet are more Edwardian. An Art Deco one here would be more likely to have squared off stepped feet and wooden Deco shaped handles. So, it's either in an older style, or a bit earlier than the 20s - I favour it being earlier.

Could be these people: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_Cabinet_Makers

If you contact : http://www.bath-at-work.org.uk/ they may be able to tell you more.

14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I debated about that for these exact reasons. Had I not known it English, I might have assumed French, as it is more typical of their exuberant style. Here in the States, nothing even remotely similar was being made until well in to the 20s.

Rberr, scoutshouse and antidiem like this.
  15. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I have NO room,but Id have drug that home in a nano second for $20 ! Lovely !

Any Jewelry, Rberr and scoutshouse like this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

For $20 you just about stole that. Nice one! I don't have space for anything like that but...dang.

17. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The solid wood ones are well worth some money as wood for joinery, well seasoned, large pieces.
    When we bought this house it came with three similar wardrobes and some other furniture that was too large and not valuable enough to move and sell. 30 years later it is still in daily use.

Rberr, scoutshouse and Figtree3 like this.
  18. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yes, I know people who buy old wardrobes simply for the lovely wood, and then repurpose them. Buying good walnut veneer like that would be very expensive indeed.

af, doubt the same will apply to Ikea stuff, eh?

19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

for a 20 , i'd be happy with just the doors...and the hardware !

20. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Hey, nice find, @Rberr

...and it's only Friday afternoon - you got going early on our collective hoard of gorgeous rescues that were too heavy, free, only a buck and/or only needed to be cleaned up!

Rberr and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted