Featured antique whatnot? can anyone tell me what this item of furniture is please? x

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by barrie, Feb 7, 2019.

1. barrie

barrie Member

My Husband has been left a whatnot in a will. we have some idea that it is possibly 200 + years old. Other than that we have no idea exactly what it is? i've done some research but am coming up blank. Any advice or help would be greatly welcomed. WP_20190131_09_01_48_Pro.jpg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Late 19th C Gothic Revival . Might be mahogany, photo isn't good enough. Sort of sideboard, but more likely to be used in a hall here. Not massive value. British.

3. barrie

barrie Member

Thank you very for your reply, i'll try to put better quality photos up

Christmasjoy, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

5. barrie

barrie Member

more pics in gallery thanks again :happy:

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

No one looks at pics in the gallery.
    I've lightened them, cropped and resized them and posted them here for you.

WP_20190131_09_01_27_Pro.jpg
    WP_20190131_09_01_48_Pro.jpg

WP_20190131_09_02_06_Pro.jpg

WP_20190131_09_02_12_Pro.jpg

7. barrie

barrie Member

@ daveydempsey, thank you so much doing the pictures for us. its appreciated you little star :)

8. Ownedbybear

Yup, confirms what I said.

9. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Ownedbybear is right.

I'd say ca. 1900 etagere, mahogany. I don't know where you are, but in the U.S. midwest you might get $500-$700 for it, depending on the day.

10. barrie

barrie Member

@Ghopper1924 thank you for your message. We are in the uk... so at least i have a little idea what it is now, this has really helped x

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is beautiful and elegant, barrie.
    I agree with the others on the period, but can't really see any Gothic Revival style in it. No Gothic design elements like Gothic arches, trefoil or quatrefoil carving, carved heads or statues.

12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I also would call this an etagere. Circa 1900 is spot-on so not 200 years old. As for style, would call it late Victorian. Some elements of other historical styles but a bit of a mish-mash. Those pulls are French and I would be surprised if they are original to the piece. Also can confirm mahogany as the wood.

judy, kyratango, barrie and 9 others like this.
  13. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Very nice barrie, and WELCOME to Antiquers !!! ... Joy. :)

14. Ownedbybear

Drawer handles are fine for British - they might be ours, but we imported. ;)

Over here, it's not much more than a hundred quid, sadly. Use and enjoy.

15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

My guess would be British made too.

16. barrie

barrie Member

i thank you all for your help.... had a auction man over and he said i should put a reserve of £5500 as people want to make money when they sell it on ... he seemed a bit to keen when he looked at the markings on the back .... witch i did not know were there... ill try to take pics but hard to work out ... BUT he said every thing you guys said right up untill he looked at the markings ...... am i missing a trick ???

17. Ownedbybear

I'm not seeing anything on that to make it four figures. Can you call him and ask what he was on about? If the markings on the back are something like Gillows, say, then it bumps up the value. But £5500 seems unhinged.

18. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

:wideyed::bucktooth:5500£ reserve??? I doubt it'd reach 550, as Ownedbybear (who is in UK:)) said, more likely 100:(

19. Ownedbybear

A Gillows label might make that £3-500, but that's about it.

20. barrie

barrie Member

wow i was just saying what was said to me kyratango .. just asking for help .... witch has been grate till now ??

Draft saved Draft deleted