Antique windsor chair Age?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Daniel oshaughnessy, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Daniel oshaughnessy

Daniel oshaughnessy Active Member

Found this primitive antique Windsor chair this weekend thrifting. It looks really old, the seat is 2" thick. It has iron rods on the arms and the seat as reinforcement. I was wondering if this american or english and how old it may be. Thanks :) 20190623_190534-1560x1560.jpg 20190623_190505-1560x1560.jpg 20190623_190513-1560x1560.jpg 20190623_190539-1560x1560.jpg 20190623_190628-1560x1560.jpg 20190623_190616-1560x1560.jpg

Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

All I can offer is that it is not a Windsor chair.

Style type is called a Captain's Chair.

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Barrel back tavern chair. Does seem to have some age with that single board seat. Wood is pine, so thickness of seat and back rail is to give strength.

Michael77, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  4. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Agree Captain or bar chair. What are the holes in the top back piece? Is it screwed on? Very little value here, sadly.
    Patd

Michael77, Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

pegs loosened and popped out of the holes..

Michael77 and Ghopper1924 like this.
  6. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

It's fine to call this a Windsor style chair, because it is based on the Low-Back Windsor's that were produced in the late 18th century along with the other styles that are more commonly thought of. Yours is a much more recent adaptation of that style, and it's lateness, crudeness and the steel bolts (including the bizarre one through the seat to the added board underneath) kill any value. Keep looking and find an early one next time!

Here is an early one that sold recently at Skinner(https://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/3079T/lots/1009):
    [​IMG]

Here is a late 19th century one that is more similar to yours; yours is even later, simpler and less desirable. Yours could have been made in a home woodshop based on this type of chair: (https://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/the-windsor-a-perfectly-designed-chair/):
    [​IMG]

Michael77 and judy like this.
  7. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

It has that 1950's looking finish to it. Has had a bit of a rough life.

Michael77 likes this.
  8. Paacheeky

Paacheeky Member

It is Windsor Chair... Windsor chairs are a type of chair construction where the back is separate from the legs. I.e. not one continuous piece. if the back legs continue up and become the back it is not a Windsor chair. Windsor chairs are so called Windsor chairs because the inhabitants of London at the time thought that the chairs travel down the Thames from the town of Windsor where is in fact most of the so called Windsor chairs came from High Wycombe a town slightly closer to london

I love the repairs

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Daniel oshaughnessy likes this.
  9. Daniel oshaughnessy

Daniel oshaughnessy Active Member

The repairs are what made me think it was quite old....hand forged iron rods. I really dont think it is more recent as others on this site are suggesting.

10. Paacheeky

Paacheeky Member

It has certainly seen some use looking at that stretcher unless of course they are wearing hobnail boots and had a nervous shaking in their legs. Sorry can't help with the age but it's nice to see hand forged iron work.

11. alex webb

alex webb Well-Known Member

you will see it called a smokers chair too

Draft saved Draft deleted