Antique Wood,Cast Iron & Brass Moving Mechanism-What is it ?

Discussion in 'Tools' started by bosko69, May 29, 2022.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Doohickey 1.jpg Doohickey 2.jpg Dear Tool/Machine Friends-Here's something I came across years ago at a Garage Sale.It's 11 inched long,it consists of a long steel spindle w/ lathed (grooved on the edges for a leather belt drive ?),and as the wheels are turned the cast iron arm is hit by a flange and the iron arm & the wood arm on reverse goes up & down.There's also a thin brass keeper/arm of some type.No markings.Looks hand made except the sand cast cast iron arm.Any guesses what this thing does,and what it was used on ?
    Thanks-Bosko

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2022
    LauraGarnet02 and Roaring20s like this.
  2. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Without dimensions, this is just a guess; Looks like a bobbin or spool winder. Perhaps from a textile mill?

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  3. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

LauraGarnet02 and komokwa like this.
  4. bosko69

The dimensions of this piece are 10 1/2" lngth x 3 3/4" wdth x 4 3/4" ht.There's also a sprocket/gear at the end of the higher wheel.

5. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

would you call the one piece where the wooden bar attaches a rocker arm?

6. bosko69

when the the cast iron arm (resting on a spring) is pushed down on,the brash lever arm pulls the rear spindle/wheel forward.the wooden arm on the opposite side moves down also.thanks for interest-i wonder if i can post a short video of it moving (?).

7. bosko69

Sorry-Meant the 'Brass Lever Arm' (not 'Brash' !).

Draft saved Draft deleted