Any Bostonians here? Question on Alice Atwood Mahoney

Discussion in 'Art' started by orrbobby, Apr 28, 2019.

1. orrbobby

orrbobby Well-Known Member

IMG_5588.JPG IMG_5588.JPG IMG_5592 (1).JPG IMG_5593 (1).JPG IMG_5598.JPG IMG_5588.JPG View attachment 176331 Picked this up on my Saturday thrift store pick. These are assorted prints (maybe an original or two possibly). These are all historic landmarks in the Boston area, I am from the area and immediately took a liking to this. Couple things going on here, right below the Beacon Street/Boston print it says 1980 Alice Atwood Mahoney, all rights reserved Alice Atwood Productions. I took the best pics I could but even having the prints in front of me I needed magnifying glass to read it. Now, on the lower right of all the prints they are signed by what I believe is Douglas Alvord. I can not remember for the life of me where I saw the affiliation between Alice Atwood Mahoney and Douglas Alvord, I know I saw it somewhere, just can not remember. Crazy question but who is the artist here? Alice or Douglas? As always, thanks in advance for any responses.

2. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I'm in a Boston suburb, but am not familiar with Alice Atwood Mahoney.

If the prints are only signed in the print itself ("in the plate"), it's not likely any are originals. Assuming the verbiage isn't bogus, my guess is that Atwood Mahoney has the rights to copy and sell the images.

The section that says "Authorship on Application: painting: Alice Atwood Mahoney, employer for hire" sounds a little odd. I think maybe it means that she employed the artist to do the original paintings and then she reproduced them and copyrighted the prints. Or maybe she bought the original paintings with an agreement that she would reproduce them?

judy and orrbobby like this.
  3. orrbobby

Thanks Pat. I have seen similar items on ebay and they are listed as Alice Atwood Mahoney prints. I would have thought they would be listed Douglas Alvord prints if he were the artist. hmmm. strange. Anyway, Thanks Pat and go Bruins!!!

judy and Pat P like this.
  4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I agree... it makes much more sense to attribute the prints to the artist than to what appears to be the publisher.

When I list a print where I know both the artist and the publisher, I provide both names but make the artist's name more prominent and make it clear which is which.

judy and orrbobby like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

those look like art cards....nothing more..

judy likes this.
  6. orrbobby

What is an art card ? A mini print ? Just curious. These are printed on heavy paper and very nicely done.

judy likes this.
  7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

If the quality of the printing and the paper are comparable, I don't think there's much difference between an art card and a small reproduction print. Other than that prints are sometimes matted and usually sell for a lot more! :rolleyes:

orrbobby likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted