Any Chicago World's Fair 1933 experts out there?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Tom Mackay, May 3, 2017.

1. Tom Mackay

Tom Mackay Well-Known Member

I found this. I'll show the frame it was in and the backing with it's clues.
    Someone went to Chicago in 1933.
    Who was Eva? A great Aunt - not sure of the connection but a relative, and I think a more worldly one than many in the family in her time.

Anyway, I wonder if this is her profile ? Which leads to -

Was this a "thing" at that exposition - getting a quick profile done on a coated piece of metal ?
    Was this a process being touted as part of the "Century of Progress" ? Did lots of folks get them done ? It's 4" x 5".

Those who put this away were not consumers nor acquirers of random stuff. 20170503_184321.jpg 20170503_184357.jpg 20170503_184434.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Should I assume you've googled the ARMCO-FERRO House?

I think it's safe to believe that the material of which the silhouette is made is the same material of which the house was made.

Figtree3 and yourturntoloveit like this.
  3. Tom Mackay

Tom Mackay Well-Known Member

Nope ! The obvious escapes me with ease ! It melts away from me like a snowball in Hans Brinker's hand ! Unfortunatey, I made assumptions.

I knew the place was supposed to have been innovative, and had been moved and saved from ruin but I never knew exactly how it was innovative and never imagined porcelain-enameled steel as an alternative building material ! What Dreamers !
    But then, wasn't the Thirties full of futuristic possibilities that got horribly waylaid...

So probably these tiles were as common as Cracker Jack.

(All those old photos...but which one, if any, was Eva ? I wish they'd written on them.)

Thanks Bakersgma.

Figtree3 and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

You're very welcome, Tom. Sometimes it takes a village.... And that's why we're here!

komokwa likes this.
  5. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness, DH just reminded me that we have at least one porcelain-clad steel-construction house in our city. We drove by it time and time again when we lived on that side of town.