Any help identifying this Asian medal

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Elizabeth Brushia, Apr 27, 2024.

1. IMG_7726.jpeg IMG_7727.jpeg IMG_7728.jpeg IMG_7729.jpeg I can’t figure out anything about this, I think it’s Korean, but not sure on that either.. any information at all would be appreciated it’s 1 1/2” and 41.6 g

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2024
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

The internet does not want help on this one.

3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

This eBay item is no help (not the design on yours, and doesn't appear they know much about theirs), but it does have the same label as yours and very similar case:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155005940266

komokwa likes this.
  4. The box has a similar label, but you’re right no useful information and I can’t find any scroll on the actual medal that is similar at all.

5. Not at all, can’t even find one with similar weight

6. sabre123

Maybe post on a Chinese forum to see if someone can tell you what the characters mean. Could point you in a search direction.

Reddit is one source->

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

u sure u want to send folks to reddit...?
    I understand from what I've read here that they can be..... unpleasant..:wideyed:

8. I can honestly say I don’t understand mean or disrespectful people, but I’m willing to take a chance for knowledge…. The way I have to look at it, if you choose to take that route to make someone feel bad there r more insecurity then we can understand….

9. sabre123

I've had nothing but positive experiences there. I'm sure it depends on the sub you post to.

komokwa likes this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

and maybe.........how one posts ??;)

sabre123 likes this.
  11. sabre123

I was getting ready to close a browser window that had some character combinations that looked similar to yours. If you scroll down this page, you will see some that have the same first character.

The I noticed this pair
    [​IMG]

Looks pretty close to yours. It states, that the graphic is depicting the character 佛 in the Shuowen seal script.

That led me to this page that translated the character as Buddha, Buddhism, Buddhist, along with some given names like Jennifer and Christopher.

Maybe do some research to see if this has any merit.

smallaxe, Roaring20s and komokwa like this.
  12. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

Roaring20s, komokwa and sabre123 like this.