Featured Any idea how much this vintage furniture is worth?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by bulma, Oct 7, 2019.

1. bulma

bulma New Member

Hey,

I have this furniture, its vintage.
    Any idea how much its worth?

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Like anything, it is worth what you can get for it. That all depends on where, when, and how you plan to sell. In my retail shop here in a semi-rural Midwest city, I would be very lucky to get $300.00 for the set. I could see this going for up to 3 times that in a high end shop in a big city. At auction this would go for very little where I live. Selling on craigslist or fb marketplace would fall somewhere in between. They are nice pieces but are not antique or by a known designer. Just used vintage furniture and their value is in their utility.

3. bulma

bulma New Member

thanks , mate. I can get such furniture very cheaply so maybe its a good business to start by selling it for much higher, but need a plan where and how it to sell ;)

4. verybrad

Pretty much the same here. Consequently, I have to sell it below national market prices (albeit at a profit) to sell it at all. There are quite a few dealers here who buy select pieces cheaply and take them to Chicago for better profit.

Case in point: I recently picked up a Broyhill Brasilia china cabinet like this one for $80.00 from a local estate. I sold it to a dealer friend within 4 hours for $200.00 despite knowing it could be worth $1000.00 in the right market. The friend I sold it to quickly turned it for $400.00 to a dealer who drove down from Chicago for it. There was still enough meat on the bone for yet another dealer to buy it and make good profit.

I could have put it in my retail space locally for $400.00, have to sit on it for months, and likely have to discount it to get it sold. That is the nature of the market here. I would rather sell quickly at a profit and fill my retail space with $100.00 furniture that I can potentially turn 10 times in the time it would take to sell the one piece.

[​IMG]

Sandra, blooey, pearlsnblume and 12 others like this.
  5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Did you hear about the two antique dealers shipwrecked on a desert island?

They only had one chair between them and they both made a good living.

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

:hilarious:

And also, welcome to Antiquers, @bulma !

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

It looks to me like high end hotel furniture but very visually appealing.

kyratango, Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

10. bulma

bulma New Member

Havent you tried selling online, for example on etsy or ebay?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I think a lot of sellers won't do furniture sales online except for local pickup. The shipping charges would be very high.

That being said, I'll wait for @verybrad to explain what he does. I know he sells items on eBay, not sure about etsy.

12. verybrad

Have sold some better furniture on ebay in the past. Right now, a quick bird in the hand is worth more than holding and waiting for a flock down the road. I just don't have the time to market for top dollar right now. I am holding a lot of better smaller items for the day when I will have the time.

pearlsnblume, Figtree3, judy and 3 others like this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i hope when that day comes.....the market is still there !;)

judy, Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  14. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

they remind me of granma's furniture from the 1930s, especially the covers.
    some models had a sliding mechanism to prolong the seating.

judy, Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  15. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

I think that is correct, most furniture dealers i know that are doing well, they KEEP THE PRODUCT MOVING! and don't try to wait till the last dollar of profit is squeezed from an item. :cigar:

Bakersgma, Figtree3, judy and 2 others like this.
  16. bulma

bulma New Member

thanks. To be honest, people in my country are throwing to trash or giving for free such furniture..some people selling for $5-$20 similar vintage furniture.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted