Featured Any idea of what these symbols are & what part of world this sterling cuff comes from?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by GiveMeOldJewelry, May 18, 2020.

1. I'm trying not to come for info more than once every couple of weeks, but some of these things have been sitting on my desk for months, with little in the way of results from research. This cuff weighs about 50 grams and isn't stamped. I tested it with the 18K acid method. I believe it to be Middle Eastern, but I keep coming to a dead end & don't even know if I have the symbols right-side up.

Any ideas re meaning of symbols & area of world cuff comes from would be appreciated.

P1010009 (142).JPG P1010002 (119).JPG P1010009 (142).JPG

stracci, KSW and Xristina like this.
  2. reader

reader Well-Known Member

How pretty and I have no idea and am sure others will be along who will know. @Any Jewelry

I do know that if it’s in the correct orientation then the last symbol is very similar to the Japanese (Kanji) character for tree and the flower is probably a lotus so not Middle Eastern but Far Eastern and seemingly Chinese or Japanese, but just guessing. I knew the tree symbol from Japan but Kanji uses Chinese characters.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree. The flower looks Japanese too.
    But I have never seen a cuff like this, so couldn't say anything for sure. It is very nice, but not traditional.

kyratango, KSW and reader like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Wonder if the choice of stones also has symbolic meaning?

Fid, kyratango, KSW and 2 others like this.
  5. Bronwen

Just wanted to see:

upload_2020-5-18_14-43-7.png

kyratango and reader like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Probably, but it could be personal. Maybe someone's birth stones?
    Could you put a dragon in the photo too?:playful:

7. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing but I’m not sure of the stones lol. Center could be moonstone but first could be rubellite, pink tourmaline, etc. No clue on the last stone from that pic.

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Just thinking, if it was made in Japan I would expect it to be marked. And in that case it could even be a higher fineness than sterling.
    But it could have been made in the US for someone of Japanese origin, or for someone who liked Japanese culture.

kyratango, Bronwen and reader like this.
  9. reader

reader Well-Known Member

From the lotus and the tree symbol I do think the original orientation is correct.

Any Jewelry, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  10. Bronwen

My guess is some kind of garnet, moonstone or opal - can't see well enough- & what looks like black onyx. Meaning could be in the type of stone or just in the color.

Yes, could be. I have a pendant that has a dull grey 'river stone' at the top, a dragon carved on bone below that, with a small cabochon garnet set at the top. On the back of the dragon are the numbers of the years of the dragon. Artist had some reason for choosing garnet, forget what.

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  11. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Was the center stone changed out? Solder?

Bronwen likes this.
  12. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Excess solder around the bezel.The designs and border is hand chased,looks like it could be an artisan/hobbyist project.

Bronwen, Any Jewelry and reader like this.
  13. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Makes sense that this was a project not necessarily made in Asia but using Asian symbols. Pretty cuff nonetheless.

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Thanks folks! I posted this and then started taking photos of an opal ring. I'm terrible photographing opals and have spent almost 2 hours taking over 100 photos/editing. I'll have to list with the best of them, which are still bad lol.:shifty:

I was able to test the red & black stones before batteries died on Presidium. Red is Almandine Pyrope Garnet. Black is glass.

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

It's not you, it's the opals. Opals are notoriously difficult to photograph. Every time you think you have the best position to show that gorgeous flash of colour, it doesn't show in the photo.:arghh:

Bronwen and stracci like this.
  16. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

There's no limit on how many questions you can ask. :)

Bronwen likes this.
  17. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Bit runic.

Bronwen likes this.
  18. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Yes, definitely, but which culture, I can't figure out. Neo-pagan with magickal stones, most likely.

Bronwen likes this.
  19. reader

reader Well-Known Member

They’re Asian symbols. Between the lotus
    and the last symbol you’ve got two traditional Chinese and Japanese symbols. I’ll bet if anyone wants to research the other ones they can be identified too.

Bronwen likes this.
  20. Marta Faria

Marta Faria New Member

The first and last characters are japanese and Chinese (uses in both languages) the second One looks like a nordic rune and the third one looks made up ahaha I think its not asian but someone wanted it to look like it was asian. Beautiful regardless!

Darkwing Manor and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted