Featured Any idea what these could be?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by HottMess, Jun 14, 2021.

1. HottMess

HottMess New Member

20210604_115339.jpg IMG_14062021_192805_(800_x_1280_pixel).jpg IMG_14062021_192918_(800_x_1280_pixel).jpg I bought these at an antique auction years ago with a bunch of jewelry. Trying to figure out what they are and what age they are. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    The metal is very thin. Not sure if they're real gold as I haven't had them tested but I think they might be. The stones are rough

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2021
    singing, judy, KSW and 3 others like this.
  2. Pattywithay

Pattywithay Well-Known Member

Looks like a hair ornament.

Figtree3, Boland, judy and 6 others like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Or an ornament for headwear of some sort. A turban perhaps. Here's something similar from Cartier.

Debora

maharajah-jagatjit-singh-of-kapurthala-230x300.jpg

Figtree3, Firemandk, KSW and 7 others like this.
  4. HottMess

HottMess New Member

This is what i was thinking. Any idea where to go for more info? thank you! :)

judy, KSW and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You'll sure to get more information here. Just give forum members, many of whom are in different time zones, the opportunity to see your post.

Debora

KSW and kyratango like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

7. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

India??

KSW and kyratango like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That would be my first guess. The stones look "native cut", but that could mean something very old or something made in a country where they still cut them by hand.

judy, KSW and kyratango like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful, @HottMess .
    It is an Indonesian hairpin, most likely Javanese. It looks like it is gold, but could be gilded silver. I have some Javanese hairpins that are gilded silver.
    The shape is a stylized orchid, one of the emblematic flowers of Java. The way the petals are decorated is very Indonesian, and seen a lot on gold and silver from Java and the Javanese (Majapahit culture) influenced islands.

Here is my Djokja silver orchid brooch from Central Java for comparison (not nearly as nice as you pin):

upload_2021-6-15_18-45-46.jpeg

I think it would be quite painful to wear it as a sarpech.:nurse:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    singing, judy, Firemandk and 6 others like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I KNEW you would know! And I apologize to all for the mis-direction. I knew Any Jewelry would be sleeping so I took a shot (and missed!)

Debora

reader, Xristina, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

But missed in such a beautiful way, we all got to enjoy a stunning sarpech!:)

judy, reader, Xristina and 2 others like this.
  12. HottMess

HottMess New Member

Thank you so much for the info! I've been hanging on to these things for quite a few years since I couldn't find any info on them. This is very helpful :)

judy, reader, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  13. HottMess

HottMess New Member

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply! I'm so glad I found this site as I have a few pieces I'm unsure about.

You all rock!

judy, reader, KSW and 2 others like this.
  14. Bob Davis

Bob Davis Member

The flowers are lotus, the shape is a tjapung (dragonfly) :)

15. Any Jewelry

Yes, the flower decoration on the lobes is of lotus buds and flowers, as is often the case in Javanese art. However, by shape I meant exactly that: the shape, so the outline of the piece. Not the decoration.
    If you read it again, I never mentioned the decoration. If I had, I could have avoided present confusion, so apologies for not mentioning the decoration. I can't promise to never forget again though, it is very difficult to mention every detail of an item.;)
    Yes, the shape is often called dragonfly/capung/tjapung or even scorpion, but older Indonesian people here call it anggrek, which is orchid. Call me an old-fashioned girl.:)

Bob, I don't know if you've noticed, but having different interpretations of the same design is one of the difficulties of Indonesian art, especially that of Java and Madura.
    For instance, the representation of the sacred cockatoo on Madurese keris hilts is usually called bajing loncat, jumping squirrel.:facepalm:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    singing, BoudiccaJones, judy and 2 others like this.
  16. Bob Davis

Bob Davis Member

I had not noticed but I'll bear it in mind! I haven't yet succumbed to collecting keris or batik! I know they're extremely complex and have their own detailed histories which go back much further than silverware. The vocabulary of keris collecting is particularly daunting!

Any Jewelry, judy and komokwa like this.
  17. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

Hmmm... Boris Karloff ! ( or not ...lol) Screenshot 2021-12-05 020410.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. Any Jewelry

That is mostly the pamor (damascene pattern) terminology, a lot of which is fairly recent, in keris terms.
    But many collectors are focused on pamor, and forget that there has to be harmony in the totality of a keris. You have to take the specific powers of the wood for the sarong into account, the model of the sarong and of the hilt, etc.

Batik also has its own language. I don't know much about it, but the little I do know means I am very careful about what to wear.;)
    Of course a lot of batik rules are not as strict as they used to be, but I wouldn't wear a pattern reserved for a Sultan, for instance.

BoudiccaJones, Bob Davis and singing like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted