Featured Any ideas on this family daguerreotype?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Melissa4384, Aug 26, 2019.

1. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

Komo, we'd be 99.999% certain the OP's picture isn't Abe & Mary, but it's too small and blurry here to say with absolute certainty. But what we were referring to was the pic you found on that website, and that site's (not your!) utterly ridiculous claim that their pic is Abe & Mary. So yeah, we took it that you, too, found the website's ID patently wrong. Outside of similar hairstyles, there's no resemblance whatsoever. Three of the woman in the photo wouldn't make one Mary, and even a cursory comparison of the facial features quickly and totally rules out that guy being Abe. Kirk and Spock have as much resemblance to the real Abe & Mary as the couple in the photo does. And by the way, is "The Savage Curtain" not one of the worst episodes of the beloved ST:TOS...? :playful:

2manybooks, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

well....it's not one of the best , that's for sure.....but I like the rock alien....and the dressing down he gives Kirk !!

The web site is kinda goofy ...but I thought the pic would add to the discussion .... and it did.....even though it's not them !!

3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I just want to emphasize that I meant to cast no aspersions on @komokwa. My critique is directed solely at the deluded owner of the "Abe & Mary" daguerreotype, (and certainly not at @Melissa4384, who started this thread with an unrelated photo). :)

Figtree3, Jivvy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It's my fault for bringing it up , but Mel agreed, so I thought I'd run with it.

The two posts before mine were proper in stating ....it could be anyone.....& I should have left it there , but I had an itch I had to scratch.....:rolleyes:

I don't take any comments posted on this thread personally.....
    So....we're good here 2MB !

5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It was an interesting detour.

Aquitaine, Jivvy and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I read through most of that website until utter boredom overcame me ... the photo was a joke, NOTHING LIKE Abe and Mary, waste of time ... Joy. :meh:

Aquitaine and 2manybooks like this.
  7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

It always amazes me how the ladies of those days managed to look put together with their hairstyles. I would have looked like a total mess if I lived back then.

Christmasjoy, Aquitaine and kyratango like this.
  8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

looks like Prof. Dr. Fritz Blümel with his wife Hannelore from Deppendorf. he fled to the US when the French tried to introduce a minimal cultural education in the kingdom of Westphalia, which was reigned by Napoleon's brother Jérôme. after the yokels refused to learn anything about the finer things of life, his post as village teacher was abolished.

9. MyrtleBeach55

MyrtleBeach55 Member

I was thinking the same thing... a young Lincoln.

Draft saved Draft deleted