Featured Any ideas what this old tool might be?

Discussion in 'Tools' started by MatthiasM, Sep 30, 2016.

1. MatthiasM

MatthiasM New Member

Hi
    I recently won a nice old 18th-century pocketwatch on an auction, and as a bonus I also got a strange metal tube with tools inside. But I have no idea whatsoever what it might be...
    The tube is about 10 cm long and opens up to reveal a set of tools: knife, ruler, pincer, pen? and some other things. There are also lenses on each end of the tube, and when the two lids are opened it seems to work as some kind of crude monocular adjustable by making the tube longer and shorter. The center hole in the tube is free from tools and runs the entire length between the lenses.

If anyone has any suggestions what it might I´d be very thankful. Perhaps an old travelling-kit for the well-shaved spy... :)
    Sorry for my awful mobile-phone-pictures...

Best Regards
    Matthias

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Itlooks as if it might be useful for doing field mapmaking, surveying or chart making.

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I swear that looks like a mini telescope ! That is so cool,I especially love the knife.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  4. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

looks more like a bug collecting kit to me

anundverkaufen likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Fascinating!!!!!!!

lloyd249 and yourturntoloveit like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Ya...but the knife is throwing me off....& I haven't found anything close so far...

7. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

2 'period' uses for a knife apart from from general cutting are trimming and shaping quills to write with and erasing mistakes. (By scraping off the surface, not stabbing disorderly crewmen)

lloyd249 and yourturntoloveit like this.
  8. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Judging by what appears to be a drafting pen nib, dividers and straight edges with adjustable angles, pen knife, I should thing some sort of drafting/drawing/map making/charting/etc.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  9. komokwa

yes, but there's already a pen there !
    But no ink well....so maybe the knife was used to draw blood ...????....:wideyed:

10. Mansons2005

A pen knife was also used to sharpen a drawing pencil "in the field" and if used for drafting/surveying a bottle if India ink would have been used in place of a traditional ink well.

11. lloyd249

this is an old map making kit from kerr vintage swiss kerr map making set 2.jpg vintage swiss kerr map making set.jpg

12. Mansons2005

I have a Bruning set basically the same (case and all) - but I refuse to call it old - it was NEW when I got it for school................

lloyd249 likes this.
  13. MatthiasM

MatthiasM New Member

Thank you all for your help in figuring out what it might be!
    I´ll investigate further in the chart/map-making area. I feel that I should at least give you some better pictures than the ones I took yesterday with my phone...

11.JPG 22.JPG 33.JPG

14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Does the tube act as a telescope, or can it be used as a microscope? If you have a Pinterest account, you can look up scientific etuis.

Don't know what you paid for the pocket watch, but I bet this would go a good way to offsetting that cost.

lloyd249 likes this.
  15. MatthiasM

MatthiasM New Member

Much thanks to the helpful members of this forum, I think I have finally managed to google my way to the solution :)
    It seems to be identical to his thing sold on Bonhams (although that one was in better outer condition and in gold...). They also sold one in silver similar to mine but the gold one seems to be the same proportions and decorations.
    The cheaper silver one sold for 10x as much as I gave for the whole lot, so as much as I liked the watch, I have to name this the true prize of the auction.
    Not a bad bonus at all I have to say :)

Thanks to all of you again for your help with this mystery!

A rare gold mounted spy-glass nécessaire, English, third quarter of the 18th century, with gold mounted fittings and floral swag decoration, sliding cover to eyepiece and objective, green stained fishskin cover, opening to fitted interior with penknife, pencil, scissors, bodkin, tweezers and ivory leaf, 4 1/4in (11cm) long
    tube.jpg

SBSVC likes this.
  16. komokwa

That's closer than anything I've yet to find...........

back to the hunt !!

17. lloyd249

okay i meant vintage lol

Draft saved Draft deleted