Featured ANY INFO/AGE OF BIG, OLD PRIMITIVE WOOD & FUR(?) PULL TOY HORSE?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Dec 5, 2017.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Found this at a local thrift store yesterday. It almost looks like a old taxidermy model with all the stitching coming loose.
    And it appears to be real fur!
    Under the fur is a carved wood model of a horse - see 3rd from last photos; I pull back the 'fur' so you can see carved wood leg - BUT under the fur of the neck it looks like burlap?
    It is big: 22" wide x 23" tall not counting the base.
    Any idea of it's age?
    I paid $40 but in this condition did I get a good deal?
    Any info/thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thank you!
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY HORSE ANTIQUE PULL TOY HORSE 1A_AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY HORSE ANTIQUE PULL TOY HORSE 1AA_AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY HORSE ANTIQUE PULL TOY HORSE 1BA_AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY HORSE ANTIQUE PULL TOY HORSE 1DA_AAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY HORSE ANTIQUE PULL TOY HORSE 1CA_AAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY HORSE ANTIQUE PULL TOY HORSE 1EA_AAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY HORSE ANTIQUE PULL TOY HORSE 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY HORSE ANTIQUE PULL TOY HORSE 1GA_AAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY HORSE ANTIQUE PULL TOY HORSE 1HA_AAA.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

3. journeymagazine

It rolls but wheels are really loose. I think base is newer because wheels are held in place with old slot screws (wouldn't it be nails if really old?)

judy, KingofThings and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

I think the screws are correct. These fetch good money but this one is a little moth eaten so to speak. I am a shameless lover of everything horse and have admired such toys from afar before. I am sure the market has softened as with everything else but I think you would still find someone interested in this for a little gentle restoration. Decent find IMHO Journey. I would have bought it.

5. buyingtime777

I have always seen these classified as "Victorian Era" as far as dating it Journey. I think that is likely accurate enough.

6. journeymagazine

I'm a horse lover to - I had a mustang (really) as a kid & my sister a palomino + my mom and step dad had the 'Diamond R ranch in NC - it had a 1/4 mile race track & we had a pretty big event each year with all kinds of racing (from barrel to calf roping to 1/4 mile) + bar b que's & camp outs the whole week-end.
    Plus my mom and grandparents had a carnival when she was a kid - and she had a trick pony named 'Trigger' that she'd tell us about every chance she got!
    In fact, her last boy/friend was Lash LaRue (B movie "King of the Bullwhip" cowboy/actor) who stayed with her until his passing
    But living in Miami now I've gone from country to Cuban - hola! :)

7. buyingtime777

Every kid should have a horse. You learn a lot of responsibility. After years of hearing how bad I wanted a horse my dad relented when I was 12. It came down to a sweet little Appaloosa mare or a BIG Tennessee Walker with a gait so smooth you could sip hot coffee while riding him. Of course I went for the Tennessee Walker!

He had apparently been out to pasture for a few years and forgotten most of his training and he firmly believed that a little girl was not going to tell him what to do. I learned to ride very well after I got a bit with a high curb and shanks about 7 inches long so I had some braking power. I rode him every day just to irritate him.

It was never the fairy tale horse story I had envisioned but I have some hilarious stories about him getting creative to get me off his back and how vengeful the equine mind can be!!! Over the years we got used to each other but my mom, my brother, and the neighbor boys were terrified of him!!!:joyful:

8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I never got over my horse love:rolleyes:. This is my old boy. Anyway, I did wonder if someone's pet pony died and was made into a toy riding horse.

upload_2017-12-5_18-18-38.png

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  9. journeymagazine

It does look like taxidermy, right? Has anyone seen others with the hide/fur stitched on like this?
    What should title read? "Antique Carved Wood Pull Toy Horse with Real Horsehide"?

Christmasjoy, judy and KingofThings like this.
  10. buyingtime777

Yes I have seen a quite a few Victorian pieces done with real horse hide. Kind of creepy but it was the gold standard then. I would call it "Large Victorian Pull/Rocking Horse Toy" and add about the hair in the description. People who are familiar with them will know.

Christmasjoy, Figtree3, judy and 2 others like this.
  11. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

12. buyingtime777

13. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

This does look old enough to be Victorian, and the style of the wheels looks correct for that, roughly. I'm not sure it is necessarily horse-hide; a little research shows that riding and rocking horses were often made with cow-hide. Some of them were made much later than the Victorian period - when I was a kid I had a large rocking horse with "real" horse-hide. In retrospect, it could have been cow, though.
    Some online research will show a number of vintage pull or rocking horses made into at least the 1930s with real hide, and mine was new when given to me in the early 1950s.
    I don't know if mine was made over a wood base, but I suspect that was likely the case.
    By the way, Bronwen's link above is very informative, and indicates that horses with real hide were shown in the Sears 1912 catalog. OP's could certainly be older than that, judging by condition.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  14. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Lash! Wow!!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. KingofThings

Yipes! :eek:

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  16. say_it_slowly

Think Roy Rogers:eek:
    [​IMG]

17. KingofThings

I did think just that!
    And sad I passed by a number of times but never went there. :(

Christmasjoy likes this.
  18. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I think I heard that the placed closed down a few years ago. Wonder what happened to Bullitt and the rest?
    greg

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  19. KingofThings

That was my point, sorry.
    Quite a while ago.
    I think there is a western museum somewhere. Maybe there?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  20. say_it_slowly

wikipedia:

After the original Trigger (Golden Cloud) died in 1965 at Rogers' new ranch in Apple Valley, California, Rogers arranged for Everett Wilkensen of Bischoff's Taxidermy in Los Angeles, CA (now Bischoff's Taxidermy and Animal FX in Burbank, CA) to preserve/mount the horse.[6] The hide was professionally stretched over a foam likeness of Trigger, and the resulting mount was put on display in the Roy Rogers and Dale Evans Museum when it opened in Apple Valley, California in 1967. The mount was later moved with the museum to first Victorville, California in 1976, and then to Branson, Missouri in 2003.

At some point, a 24-foot (7 meters) replica of a rearing Trigger was produced to sit atop the Roy Rogers Museum in Victorville. The 1300-pound (600 kg) replica could be seen from the freeway and served as a landmark until the museum closed and moved to Branson. When the fiberglass replica of Trigger was being made, Rogers was approached by the owners of the Denver Broncos. Rogers allowed another statue to be made and then broke the mold. "Bucky the Bronco", Trigger's twin, stands above the south scoreboard of the Denver Broncos stadium.[7]

After the closing of the Victorville museum in 2009, its contents were placed at public auction on July 14–15, 2010, at Christie's auction house in New York City.[8] Trigger's preserved taxidermy remains sold for $266,500 to television channel RFD-TV, which plans to start a Western museum.[9] Bob Tinsley, a Victorville developer who had built Roy Rogers' home in nearby Apple Valley, bought the fiberglass replica in April 2010. Tinsley's plan is to make the statue a part of historic Apple Valley Village. He explained, "I just couldn't see letting him go anywhere else."[10]

Christmasjoy, SBSVC, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted