Featured Any info appreciated. E F Stansfield 1938 watercolours

Discussion in 'Art' started by Shirl, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Shirl

Shirl New Member

G'day,
    I bought these two watercolours recently and have not removed from the frame as yet. I can find no info regarding this artist. He seems to have talent. The first image is extremely similar to a print by Marc posted here under "any idea on this print?" being of Eton College Yard. It seems so similar, I wonder if it was copied from that print. The second painting seems to be Morocco or Egypt but I really am guessing. rsz_3stansfield_1.jpg rsz_stansfield_2.jpg

2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

I am curious about the pictures being part of the large "Highway Art" collection that many learn about the hard way. Based on the subject matter, the use of shading, and the fact that both of Stansfield's signatures are different...I wonder.
    Let the others give you their impressions. That is just a thought of mine.

Here is an example of one I purchased some years ago
    [​IMG]

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Apologies. I should have read your post more fully.

Debora

Shirl and komokwa like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

What I find interesting is, when put side by side, is one copied from the other, or did both artists just happen to pick similar times of the day to get such similar shading??? Shadows under the tree about the same.... same window is open....back in the archway, the space in the green is just about identical....no need to go onnnnn.....

COMPARISON IMGS.jpg

Shirl and Fid like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

trees haven't grown...

Aquitaine likes this.
  8. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Thank you Aquitaine for putting side by side. Yes, you see what I refer to. I am puzzled. I see quality here but no reference to the artist anywhere. Mine is original, other is print. Hopefully more info to come....

Aquitaine likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Mine is original, other is print.
    but not a print of your original...otherwise they would look the same...

10. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Yes komokwa. Clearly they are different.

Draft saved Draft deleted