Any info help on this amazing life size sculpture would be awesome.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Upyerkillt, Jun 6, 2022.

1. Upyerkillt

Upyerkillt Active Member

20220606_091751.jpg 20220606_091759.jpg 20220606_091806.jpg 20220606_091819.jpg 20220606_091850.jpg 20220606_091855.jpg Got this sculpture last week. It is a solid piece of walnut with oak plugs. It stands about 62" tall. The person I bought it from said her father received it as a gift from his art dealer friend who went bankrupt in the 90s. Before that she believes he had it for 20 or 30 years before that. The craftsmanship and details are amazing. Is RomaniA the title? Any help with this piece would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2022
    Born2it likes this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

LOVE it ! I googled several variations of the name but zero luck. What a statement piece !

Born2it likes this.
  3. Upyerkillt

Upyerkillt Active Member

It really is amazing

Born2it likes this.
  4. David Kiehl

David Kiehl Well-Known Member

I am just in AWE!!!! Please keep it in a humidity stable climate! Maybe coating it in mineral oil or boiled linseed oil????? To help with humidity swings which can crack the wood

Born2it and Drew like this.
  5. Upyerkillt

Upyerkillt Active Member

I am going to seal it with something just not sure what yet. I just removed the old shellac that was pretty bad. Still have to get in and remove it from a few more small places. It is a beautiful piece under all that old crud.

6. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

As David recommended, mineral or linseed oil will be very good for the wood .. or even tung oil. These oils will darken the wood, but is is a preventative to drying/cracking. In my opinion do not finish with lacquer, varnish or polly. Many many hours went into this sculpture - it's a wonderful piece.

David Kiehl, johnnycb09 and Born2it like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted