ANY INFO ON ANTIQUE CHINESE(?) THRONE CHAIR? AGE? THOUGHTS?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Jul 30, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

A local thrift store I go to every day got a shipment of old oriental furniture: carved trunks, desks and this chair.
    I paid $100 total for it because I thought it was unusual in that it has no nails or screws - it has wood pegs instead!
    It does have some repairs; which made me think someone thought it must be worth saving.
    Can anyone tell me about how old it is? Or anything else about it?
    Thank you; I appreciate any help!

2. journeymagazine

lol I forgot to add the pics - I apologize; I know they'd probably help!

FURNITURE CHAIR CHINESE ORIENTAL ASIAN THRONE CHAIR 1AAZZ.jpg FURNITURE CHAIR CHINESE ORIENTAL ASIAN THRONE CHAIR 1AAAZZ.jpg FURNITURE CHAIR CHINESE ORIENTAL ASIAN THRONE CHAIR 2AAAZZ.jpg FURNITURE CHAIR CHINESE ORIENTAL ASIAN THRONE CHAIR 2AA_ZZ .jpg FURNITURE CHAIR CHINESE ORIENTAL ASIAN THRONE CHAIR 3AAAZZ.jpg FURNITURE CHAIR CHINESE ORIENTAL ASIAN THRONE CHAIR 3BAAZZ.jpg FURNITURE CHAIR CHINESE ORIENTAL ASIAN THRONE CHAIR 4AAAZZ.jpg FURNITURE CHAIR CHINESE ORIENTAL ASIAN THRONE CHAIR 4DAAZZ.jpg FURNITURE CHAIR CHINESE ORIENTAL ASIAN THRONE CHAIR 5AAZZ.jpg FURNITURE CHAIR CHINESE ORIENTAL ASIAN THRONE CHAIR 6AAZZ.jpg

3. journeymagazine

Last photo is a repair I saw when I put the chair in my van

FURNITURE CHAIR CHINESE ORIENTAL ASIAN THRONE CHAIR 6BAAZZ.jpg FURNITURE CHAIR CHINESE ORIENTAL ASIAN THRONE CHAIR 7AAZZ.jpg FURNITURE CHAIR CHINESE ORIENTAL ASIAN THRONE CHAIR 7BAAZZ.jpg FURNITURE CHAIR CHINESE ORIENTAL ASIAN THRONE CHAIR 9DAAZZ.jpg

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Can't comment on the chair but... That cushion has to go. It's wrong, wrong, wrong in all ways.

Debora

wiscbirddog likes this.
  5. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

What is that stuff on the underside? It almost looks like a glue and sawdust mixture. And the leg joints with big gaps. See how the carved design areas are flat at the back? I am going to guess Pier 1 or other import? Wait for others with more knowledge to impart. I am often wrong.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    judy, Aquitaine and anundverkaufen like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Interesting that the back isn't symmetrical.

Debora

7. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I'm no furniture expert chinese or otherwise, but I like this chair and think it may have a bit of age on ir.

judy and Happy! like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

didn't i see a lot of these in the 80's..

9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

From Indonesia?

judy likes this.
  10. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

I was thinking 70s or 80s myself but since I dont know much about furniture I didnt want to be the first one to say it lol

judy, komokwa, Happy! and 1 other person like this.
  11. antidiem

1990s Indonesia

judy and Happy! like this.
  12. journeymagazine

I hope your wrong!

judy and antidiem like this.
  13. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

14. antidiem

sorry, no.

judy and kyratango like this.
  15. antidiem

@journeymagazine , I hope your chair is chinese too, but I don't see it listed in any of the above auctions, those all appear to be different chairs than yours. lol - Florida water damage on the feet!

judy likes this.
  16. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

@antidiem I posted links to similar carved chairs. The pair in the last link are the closest. The center carvings are different but the frames are extraordinarily close. I also checked indonesian carved chairs. There is no similarity there.

cxgirl, judy, antidiem and 2 others like this.
  17. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

The carving on the back seems to have various Chinese symbols. I see a bat (cute), a vase, a bowl of some sort of fruit, maybe some clouds?

https://gotheborg.com/glossary/symbols.shtml

Bat - Fu - symbol of longevity, prosperity, happiness. One of the top symbols for good luck. The word "bat" in the Chinese language sounds identical to the word for "Good Fortune".

judy, antidiem and aaroncab like this.
  18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I suspect, given the quality of the custom-made cushion, that the chair was perceived to be of value by its original owner.

Debora

19. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

judy, antidiem and Darkwing Manor like this.
  20. journeymagazine

+ the fact that they had repairs done to it when needed?

judy and Debora like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted