Any info on artist of painting(?) or print signed William Henry '46 ?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jan 25, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this today in a box of new donations to a friend's thrift store.
    I can't tell if it's a painting or a print though I'm leaning towards print (under a magnifying glass I can't see any pixels but the image isn't sharp either - maybe the glass covering it is the blurred kind?
    More important, can anyone tell me who the artist William Henry is?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ART PAINTING WILLIAM HENRY 1946 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING WILLIAM HENRY 1946 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING WILLIAM HENRY 1946 3AA.JPG ART PAINTING WILLIAM HENRY 1946 4AA.JPG

judy likes this.
  2. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

appears to be a lithograph

judy likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

This guy.

"William Henry (American, 20th C.) Signed to bottom right corner "William Henry" as well as dated "60"; measures approximately 39-7/16" x 31-5/8" with frame and has a sight image of approximately 25-5/8" x 18-3/16"; in Fair overall condition with some foxing. William Henry resides in Naples, and is regarded as "Bill" by most. He started doing watercolors in the Bahamas where he lived for eight years. During that period he did a mural for the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, at the time of the Duke's governorship of the Bahamas. (This was among the possessions afterwards moved from the Windsor's Bahama residence to their more recent home in the outskirts of Paris.) In the interim, many Henry pictures were purchased by notable collectors including Mr. Carmen Messmore, director of New York's Knoedler Galleries, the late Lord Duveen of Duveen Galleries, Sir Gerald Lysaught of London, the Firestone Collection, the Woodward collection and the Schoonmacher collection (which has eighteen Henrys). The first one-man show accorded Bill Henry opened in New York at Delphic Galleries on 57th Street. World history was made also that day --Pearl Harbor Day. From 1942 to 1946, the army claimed Bill Henry. He was captain in the Corps of Engineers, attached to the Air Force. For five years following the war, Henry painted Jamaica, Key West, Mexico, Nova Scotia and the Gaspe Peninsula. He returned to Florida in 1951 where he again engaged in the creation of murals, many of which have won acclaim both here and abroad. Now living in Naples, Henry's exhibits have become notable features at the McNichols Galleries. One of his latest murals adorns the south wall of the main lounge of the Port Royal Beach Club. This was chosen in competition with some of the nation's foremost mural artists."

https://www.bidsquare.com/online-au...enry-1960-watercolor-of-sailboat-scene-519579

Debora

Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 4.00.30 PM.jpeg

4. journeymagazine

Hard to believe it had an estimate of only $60 - $80!
    Do you think mine is a watercolor? I may remove it.frim frame/glass to know for sure.
    Thank you Debora!

5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

6. journeymagazine

It does look like it! The signature? Is right on edge of lower frame - so I'm going to take it out to see what's underneath
    Thank you!

say_it_slowly likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted