Featured ANY INFO ON COLLECTIBLE 'LIMOGE' PLATE

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by journeymagazine, May 18, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a local thrift store yesterday. I almost didn't buy it; I had a stack of Hibel plates that I ended up giving away when someone bought something at our estate/garage sale because NO ONE had any interest in buying one!

But I saw the Limoges & the French(?) writing on the back & decided to take a chance that it had some value - and if not I didn't lose a lot.

Can anyone tell me about it?
    Thanks

COLLECTIBLE PLATE LIMOGE 1AA.jpg COLLECTIBLE PLATE LIMOGE 2AA.jpg COLLECTIBLE PLATE LIMOGE 4AA.jpg COLLECTIBLE PLATE LIMOGE 4AAA.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

https://www.etsy.com/listing/168576531/darceau-limoges-les-femmes-du-siecle?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=paul+poiret&ref=sc_gallery-1-5&referring_page_type=market&plkey=55c60bca51e6652d84109e0f5e3d7e98a073ceb8:168576531

It seems the character of Albertine was a veil dancer, part of the Orientalist world of French fashion designer Paul Poiret.
    The plate was sponsored by the Parisian chamber for couture fashion. Other info is in the Etsy listing.

On Paul Poiret:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Poiret

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  3. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

:) - Thanks Any Jewelry!

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I don't know in what way it was deemed 'official', but the logo composed of an equal sign, a dove, & the symbol for female is from the U.N. Year of the Woman, 1976, as the plate is dated.

upload_2019-5-18_9-49-48.png

5. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I don't know if you'll get that $20 that the etsy seller is going for... from what Ive found, anything that's made to be collectible - usually isn't.

6. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

So true!

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Only if someone needs this last one to complete the set.

As my dad's sole heir, some of the stuff I had to deal with was all the 'collector's' plates accumulated by his second wife, who had died more than a decade before, among them two different, incomplete Gone with the Wind series sets. My stepmother had four children from her first marriage who were rarely, if ever, in touch with her, none of whom attended her memorial service. Nonetheless, it was rather a relief when one of the daughters chanced to be in from out of state (for an entirely different reason) at the same time I was there and greedily wanted anything she could get her hands on. The two siblings who lived in the area had already been by to pick up photo albums I had let them know I had found & also selected a few other things as mementos, giving a pass to everything else that had been their mother's, so felt free to let this daughter take what she wanted. When she started demanding where this or that item was, I had to sternly remind her that legally it all belonged to me. As the legal owner, I was quite glad to get the piles of 'collectibles' off my plate.

komokwa, Any Jewelry, judy and 5 others like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I like the "crisp" and bright coloring in Journey's plate much better than the other one showing!!!

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted