Any info on large, hand carved(?) ornate mirror - Thai? Oriental?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Mar 4, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this today at my local thrift store; I didn't know anything about it except it was cool! Is it worth the $100 I paid for it?
    Where is it from?
    Is this a antique?
    The gilded (? gold?) paint actually seems to change when in sun from when in the shade?
    Any information/thoughts would be greatly appreciated - I'm hoping it's going to be like the Eames chair & sell in a day!
    PS - I am trying to expand & buy less paintings!
    Thank you!

FURNITURE MIRROR TALL ORNATE THAI ORIENTAL 1AA.JPG FURNITURE MIRROR TALL ORNATE THAI ORIENTAL 1BAA.JPG FURNITURE MIRROR TALL ORNATE THAI ORIENTAL 1CAA.JPG FURNITURE MIRROR TALL ORNATE THAI ORIENTAL 1DAA.JPG FURNITURE MIRROR TALL ORNATE THAI ORIENTAL 1EAA.JPG FURNITURE MIRROR TALL ORNATE THAI ORIENTAL 2AA.JPG FURNITURE MIRROR TALL ORNATE THAI ORIENTAL 3AA.JPG FURNITURE MIRROR TALL ORNATE THAI ORIENTAL 3AAA.JPG FURNITURE MIRROR TALL ORNATE THAI ORIENTAL 3BA_AA.JPG FURNITURE MIRROR TALL ORNATE THAI ORIENTAL 3CAA.JPG

LauraGarnet02 and judy like this.
  2. journeymagazine

Inside the house - the color changes/looks different?

FURNITURE MIRROR TALL ORNATE THAI ORIENTAL 4AAA.JPG FURNITURE MIRROR TALL ORNATE THAI ORIENTAL 4AA.JPG

LauraGarnet02 and judy like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Looks thoroughly European to me, and from the back a molded material, so not very old.

judy and Darkwing Manor like this.
  4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I can't help at all but I just have to say - wow - that is a lot of foo-foo for one mirror!!!!! :eek::eek::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::facepalm:;):playful: :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

kyratango, judy and Aquitaine like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Why do you think it might be Thai or other "oriental" origin?

judy likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Looks more "classical" to me.

judy likes this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

(sorry, but you cracked me up!!!:D:D:D:D:joyful::joyful::joyful:)

kyratango, judy and bercrystal like this.
  8. journeymagazine

It's made of wood

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Is the mirror beveled?

Debora

10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I was thinking European or Oriental....fancy enough for either IMHO.....

11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't see any joins. Ornate picture and mirror frames were made of a wood composite in the '70s and '80s.

Companies like Syroco and Durwood did similar even earlier.

kyratango and aaroncab like this.
  12. journeymagazine

I guess I thought oriental because of the black on the back & that it's not as heavy as you think - I've had lighter weight wood pieces with the black back - but I can't remember what it was, I'm sorry

When I list this what should I call it - Classical wall mirror? Ornate European hallway mirror?
    ps - Looked at back & there are small holes in it - could it be wormwood, or is it from a mold injection? (See 2md photo with the small chip - it looks like wood?)
    + you can see red behind the gold paint in spots; which I think I've seen in some oriental pieces before?
    Also some pics of it inside house; it looks better to me here than in the direct sun, but there's so much stuff around it that I haven't listed yet that it takes away from it somewhat.
    Final question - which photos should I use for the ad when I sell this (eBay, FB marketplace, etc..)?
    Thank you guys for all your help.

FURNITURE MIRROR TALL ORNATE THAI ORIENTAL 6AA.JPG
    FURNITURE MIRROR TALL ORNATE THAI ORIENTAL 6AAA.JPG FURNITURE MIRROR TALL ORNATE THAI ORIENTAL 7AA.JPG FURNITURE MIRROR TALL ORNATE THAI ORIENTAL 7AAA.JPG FURNITURE MIRROR TALL ORNATE THAI ORIENTAL 8AA.JPG FURNITURE MIRROR TALL ORNATE THAI ORIENTAL 8BaA.JPG FURNITURE MIRROR TALL ORNATE THAI ORIENTAL 8CaA.JPG

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  13. journeymagazine

No it's not beveled Debora.
    What would you call it?

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A flat mirror. Beveling often indicates age/quality.

Debora

bercrystal and kyratango like this.
  15. journeymagazine

No what would you call the mirror itself if you were selling it - for a title?
    PS - the mirror measures 52"H x 26"W x 3"D. :)

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Try "pier mirror."

Debora

bercrystal likes this.
  17. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Definitely not wood. Have seen mirrors made of a dense almost styrofoam type material (Not as dense as regular resin). I think that is what you have here.

bercrystal likes this.
  18. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

The fact that it is not wood might appeal to a buyer because it would be lighter & therefore not so much a PITA to hang.

Draft saved Draft deleted