Featured ANY INFO ON MEXICAN RED CLAY STATUE/SCULPTURE?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Feb 13, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Found this thrift store hunting today. I thought it was a tourist piece at first , but the subject is a bummer with the figure holding a dead animal (my first thought 'eskimo with a baby seal kill!'), + it also has a unusual mark/signature?
    There is a hole in his other hand; probably where he had the spear or weapon he killed the animal with?
    What is this figure of & what does the inscription mean?? (Representative authority Mexico?) And what is the animal?? Doesn't it look like a seal - it even has fins?? Except I don't think there are any seals in the wilds of Mexico!

ART SCULPTURE MEXICAN FIGURE HOLDING SEAL BODY 1AA.JPG ART SCULPTURE MEXICAN FIGURE HOLDING SEAL BODY 2AA.JPG ART SCULPTURE MEXICAN FIGURE HOLDING SEAL BODY 2AAA.JPG ART SCULPTURE MEXICAN FIGURE HOLDING SEAL BODY 3AA.JPG ART SCULPTURE MEXICAN FIGURE HOLDING SEAL BODY 4AA.JPG ART SCULPTURE MEXICAN FIGURE HOLDING SEAL BODY 5AA.JPG

judy, dude and kyratango like this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I believe your fellow is a modern interpretation of the pre columbian styles of Colima or Nayarit, both located on Mexico's west coast where there are plenty of sea lions.

patd8643, judy, dude and 8 others like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

A replica of something makes sense. What the "something" is, I don't know.

judy, dude and kyratango like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

And it is.
    Or a live animal.

judy, dude, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  5. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

i believe what the markings may stand for is something like this, Reproduced by the Authority of the National Institute of Anthropology and History, Mexico. I found a number of similar pieces being sold at auction. That is what I put together from the information that was in the auction descriptions.

judy, reader, dude and 3 others like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's a very interesting idea. Let me go check that out... Yes. It stands for "Reproducción autorizada por el Instituto Nacional de Antropología o Historia." Apparently, the Institute authorizes and produces its own reproductions. Here's the page from its web site that provides a catalog of those available.

https://reproducciones.inah.gob.mx/...=&publicacion_periodo=&publicacion_ubicacion=

Took a quick glance but couldn't find yours. Either my eye too hasty or no longer reproduced. In general, INAH reproductions don't seem to sell for very much but an authorized reproduction is worth more than one that's not.

Debora

7. journeymagazine

Yes it is - thank you all!!

dude and kyratango like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Did you find it? What culture?

Debora

dude likes this.
  9. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Back in 2007 I sold an INAH reproduction Mayan cermonial mask that was very nicely made.

This is what I wrote in my listing about INAH after researching it... "INAH is a Mexican governmental agency established in 1939. It's purpose is to ensure the research, preservation, protection, and promotion of the prehistoric, archaeological, anthropological, historical, and paleontological heritage of Mexico."

patd8643, judy, Pattywithay and 5 others like this.
  10. journeymagazine

Debora haven't got to it yet - sold some paintings and been trying to move more of them but I'm going to use Pat P's description in listing if it's ok?

judy, dude, Pat P and 1 other person like this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

If it's okay with Pat, it's okay with me! Might be helpful for your listing to confirm culture. But can't help you there.

Debora

dude likes this.
  12. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Sure! :)

This is the mask I sold...

EEma001a.jpg EEma001e.jpg

judy, Firemandk, dude and 3 others like this.
  13. 2manybooks

14. journeymagazine

Sure has to be - thanks! Going to look as soon as I post a cool but weird map I found to see if anyone knows anything about it - google translate only did parts (bit did say the language was Hungarian) Below sneak peek!

COLLECTIBLE MAP DIE CANAEL 1AA.JPG

judy likes this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Not Hungarian. Dutch. The map is of the south coast of England. Think you'll find a reproduction.

Debora

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    patd8643 likes this.
  16. journeymagazine

Any idea for the listing title since I don't know where he's from?
    Should I put Colima(?) / Mayan like similar one was listed as?
    Any help would be appreciated guys

judy likes this.
  17. 2manybooks

It would probably be safe to say it is a reproduction of a Mexican West Coast style.

18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Do avoid Colima/Maya as completely separate -- both culturally and geographically -- pre-Colombian indigenous cultures in what is now called México.

Debora

19. journeymagazine

thanks again Debora!

20. Wickawickawick

Wickawickawick New Member

0508211735_compress91.jpg Hello! Has anyone determined definitively what culture this guy comes from? I picked up his twin at an estate sale (she was a retired antique dealer!), and I can only find this thread for him.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted