Any info on old brass jar(?)/ vase(?) with metal ornaments & rings - bottom gone; being made a lamp?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Aug 5, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at the thrift store yesterday. It's bottom is missing, but I thought it was still a cool looking piece.
    Any idea how old it is?
    Where is it from?
    The bottom has been cut out and there are 2 very small holes that were drilled near the top; the bottom I figured someone was going to make a lamp out of it before giving up(?) but what would the 2 small holes have been for?
    Finally does it have any value as it sits?
    Thanks in advance for any information on it!

COLLECTIBLE VASE JAR BRASS NO BOTTOM 1A+AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE VASE JAR BRASS NO BOTTOM 1AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE VASE JAR BRASS NO BOTTOM 2AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE VASE JAR BRASS NO BOTTOM 2AAA.JPG COLLECTIBLE VASE JAR BRASS NO BOTTOM 2BAAA.JPG COLLECTIBLE VASE JAR BRASS NO BOTTOM 3AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE VASE JAR BRASS NO BOTTOM 2BAA.JPG COLLECTIBLE VASE JAR BRASS NO BOTTOM 6AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE VASE JAR BRASS NO BOTTOM 9AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE VASE JAR BRASS NO BOTTOM 9AaA.JPG

judy and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

3. journeymagazine

That's the silver design part on neck with the rings, right? Because the colors appear to be painted onto the jar
    PS - thank you.

4. Roaring20s

If you do not want to look at the entire video, you can see how it's applied at 2:55 on the following.

stracci, judy, LauraGarnet02 and 3 others like this.
  5. Roaring20s

It has seen better days, so it only has aesthetic value. Place a few plastic flowers in it and put it on a high shelf or on your patio.

judy, George Chaney and kyratango like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

There is no silver. It is Japanese bronze and the colours are enamel. This specific enamel technique is called cloisonné enamel.

The whitish colour in the bronze designs is simply dried polish, which can be washed off with soapy water and a toothbrush.

7. George Chaney

George Chaney Well-Known Member

I would suspect that someone was either trying to make a lamp out of it, or it was made into a lamp in another life. My suspicion is the two holes on the neck were intended for the lamp shade holder.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. journeymagazine

Thanks all - especially you Roaring20's; I'm sorry I didn't watch the whole video - my eyes start to cross whenever I try to concentrate on educational stuff! But I appreciate your help my friend.

9. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Definitely used to be a lamp. Missing the handles on the sides. That is what the little holes are for. Base was wood originally. upload_2022-8-7_6-40-27.png

10. journeymagazine

LOL That's it!

916Bulldogs123 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted