ANY INFO ON OLD HAND MADE BLACK DOLL WITH PIN JOINTS

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Jan 4, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this today at a local thrift store - $3.00.
    Can anyone tell me about it?
    I'm sure it's handmade.
    Measures 19" tall
    Has some kind of stuffing inside it.
    Has a pin? for each shoulder & leg joint.
    Thanks all - I appreciate any information on it.
    TOY DOLL BLACK FOLK ART DOLL 1AA.JPG TOY DOLL BLACK FOLK ART DOLL 2AA.JPG TOY DOLL BLACK FOLK ART DOLL 2BAA.JPG TOY DOLL BLACK FOLK ART DOLL 2CAA.JPG TOY DOLL BLACK FOLK ART DOLL 3AA.JPG TOY DOLL BLACK FOLK ART DOLL 3AAA.JPG TOY DOLL BLACK FOLK ART DOLL 4AA.JPG TOY DOLL BLACK FOLK ART DOLL 4BAA.JPG

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Journeymagazine, could the stuffing possibly be pieces of dried corn husks?

Way back when . . . corn husk dolls didn't have to be dressed and most of the time way back when they usually(?) weren't dressed to the same extent your doll is dressed. A loving mother with leftover small scraps of fabric from other clothing might make a dress for a special (corn husk) doll of a much-loved child.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  3. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

How are the mouth and eyes done? Paint, fabric??

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Kinda looks like paint to me, Jivvy..........but could be wrong too.....:rolleyes:

zzzzzPAINTorPATCH.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

6. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

IMHO, not to represent a Golliwogg.

Close up the features seem to have been painted, rather than stitched (embroidered).

Corn husk dolls were popular a few years back.....

upload_2019-1-5_7-21-6.jpeg

I have never known dolls to be stuffed with it, but I suppose it is possible.

The color of Journey's makes me think of sawdust......crudely shaved.

The curled metal joints could indicate a manufactured doll, as does the stitching down the front of the legs, but a close up might prove differently.

I'm wondering if it's from Haiti. She's hairless possibly because she had a scarf wrapped around her head. Her "dress" is unlike what a black american mother/father would make for their child. Most black home made dolls were made with love and sense of pride. I don't see that with this doll.

But that's just my opinion.

I have a black rag doll which I still can't be sure is antique or just vintage.

She (my doll) is not made by the best doll artist, but made with pride with the skills they had. (again my own humble opinion)

Off to an estate sale.

Joy.....???

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    i need help likes this.
  8. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

If you search on "black rag doll Jamaica" you will find too many for me to be convinced it's older than "vintage"

Also find them under "black Americana," but with tth style of dress with many of them, I would not be surprised if Caribbean is the origin.

i need help likes this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

So, @journeymagazine, yours looks like it's stuffed with excelsior......I don't see a specific determination if yours is supposed to be vintage or older, but it's very neat.....

I have an adorable collection of "black rag dolls" that Mom got some time in the 60's so they're not that old other than some old pieces mixed in with them, but will start my own thread shortly.....don't want to confuse this one!!!

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted