Featured ANY INFO ON OLD HUNGARIAN(I think) MAP OF ENGLAND?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Feb 14, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this thrift store hunting - I tried to find out about it but couldn't get past the title (I used google translate & entered ANGLIA PARS, and got England Pars + I tried DIE CANAEL TUFFCHEN ENGELANDT EN BRANCTRYCT, and it came back exactly the same - except it changed EN (2nd to last word) to AND; the only thing I learned was it said both were Hungarian words. Maybe I didn't see all letters correctly?

Can anyone tell me anything about it; age, etc..?

Thank you!

COLLECTIBLE MAP DIE CANAEL 1AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE MAP DIE CANAEL 2AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE MAP DIE CANAEL 2BAA.JPG COLLECTIBLE MAP DIE CANAEL 2CAA.JPG COLLECTIBLE MAP DIE CANAEL 3AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE MAP DIE CANAEL 4AA.JPG

Bronwen, dude and judy like this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The map is of the southern coastline of England, including the Isle of Wight. I think the language may be Dutch. @Any Jewelry?

Any Jewelry, Bronwen, dude and 2 others like this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

The name Lucas Ian Wagenaer, will show some maps, seems to by the cartographer/author.

judy, Any Jewelry, patd8643 and 3 others like this.
  4. 2manybooks

The cartographer was Lucas Janszoon (Iansz) Waghenaer, Dutch.
    https://www.raremaps.com/mapmaker/839/Lucas_Janszoon_Waghenaer

https://www.raremaps.com/gallery/de...land-betweene-the-isle-of-wight-dov-waghenaer

This map may have originally been included in his first book. "His first publication, Spieghel der zeevaerdt ("Mariner's mirror"), appeared in 1584.[2] This chart-book combined an atlas of nautical charts and sailing directions with instructions for navigation on the western and north-western coastal waters of Europe."
    https://www.revolvy.com/page/Lucas-Janszoon-Waghenaer

Determining whether the copy you have is an original, or a later reprint/copy, would depend on the printing process used and the paper it is on.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  5. journeymagazine

Can I tell with a loupe by any pixels or would I need to take back off?

Wonder why google translate says it's Hungarian language?

judy, Bronwen and dude like this.
  6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Dutch sounds and looks a lot like Hungarian, Chinese too.

7. 2manybooks

Start with a loupe, to look for the obvious signs of a modern print or lithograph - there have been a lot of discussions on how to recognize print methods on this forum. If it has the characteristics of an engraving, then you would have to assess the type of paper.

judy, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, it is, a form of old Dutch, before standardisation. Many Dutch people wouldn't be able to read it. (Or pretend not to be able to read it. :eek:)
    Foreign language, and the script is tricky to read if you're not used to it.
    It is: 'Die Canael tusschen Engelandt en Vranckrijck', which means: The Channel between England and France.
    The text in the last photo says: "Beschrijuinge der Zee Custen van Engelandt tusschen Wicht ende Doueren, met die principale hauene ende gedaenten des selue Landts', which means: Description of the English Sea Coast between (the Isle of) Wight and Dover, with the main ports and appearance of the pertaining Land.
    If you want anything else translated, just ask.:)
    Yep, Dutch is the mother of all languages.:D

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    i need help, judy and kyratango like this.
  9. journeymagazine

Thank you Any jewelry (and all - as always!)

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted