ANY INFO ON OLD UNUSUAL WALL HANGING TIBETAN(?) MASKS

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Sep 13, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found these cool old masks yesterday at a local thrift store (trying to expand from hunting paintings!). At first I thought they were plant holders because of the opening in the back - until I saw the open part was on the bottom of the masks not the top!
    What are these?
    Are they old?
    Where are they from?
    I've never seen anything like them & am curious what I found this time.
    Thank you!

COLLECTIBLE MASK TIBETAN 1AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE MASK TIBETAN 2AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE MASK TIBETAN 3AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE MASK TIBETAN 4AA.JPG

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

@Any Jewelry may have some insight into them. Think Tibet is not the right part of the world I these are more up her alley.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Bronwen is right, not Tibet. These are decorative wall hangings based on Thai dance masks called Khon masks.
    Khon dances are based on the Ramakien, the Thai version of the Hindu epic Ramayana. I think these represent members of the monkey army, the good guys.

Tibet is a magic name in the West, but the items we see here are rarely from Tibet.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    all_fakes, Jivvy, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  4. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Thanks Any Jewelry!

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted