Featured Any Info on Thrift Store Find - Old Wood Box w/3 Decanters + small compartments for..coasters? etc..

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Dec 22, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Hi
    I bought this at a local thrift store today for $100; I've never seen anything like it! It is a wood... container(?) with 3 spaces for 3 liquor decanters (included) + 2 doors that open to make a small table/mixing counter + there are compartments/spaces for - I'm not sure inside it (coasters? or maybe it had liners for condiments?)
    It appears old and maybe homemade, because it has no markings except on the lock (last photo).
    It also has unusual handles on each side with holes in them - maybe to hang like a ship's lantern to keep liquid centered?
    Can anyone tell me what I have? What is it called? (decanter caddy?)
    How old is it?
    Anything would be a great help.
    Thank you!

DECANTER HOLDER WOOD 1AA resized.JPG DECANTER HOLDER WOOD 2AA.JPG DECANTER HOLDER WOOD 2AAA.JPG DECANTER HOLDER WOOD 2AAA_A_AA.JPG

PHOTO OF BACK BELOW

DECANTER HOLDER WOOD 2AAA_AA.JPG DECANTER HOLDER WOOD 3AA.JPG DECANTER HOLDER WOOD 3AAA.JPG DECANTER HOLDER WOOD 4AA.JPG DECANTER HOLDER WOOD 5AA.JPG DECANTER HOLDER WOOD 5AAA.JPG

2. journeymagazine

Photo above lock photos is the bottom

LauraGarnet02 and judy like this.
  3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

What a find! It seems it is a Tantalus (bottles are for alcohol:p) with compartments for cigars or cigarettes or... Cards to play poker:joyful:

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

The handles on the sides probably held the locking mechanism.

5. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

We call these a 'games tantalus' in the UK, space for cards and other gaming equipment - or tobacco items.

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Absolutely a tantalus. Good to have the decanters.

7. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

It's beautiful!
    "Late 19th Century introduction to keeping your liquor under lock and key."
    Mikey

8. journeymagazine

Maybe - you can't take a decanter out unless a door is open on that bottle's side.
    So did they run a small chain across doors & through holes or something?
    Thank you for the help!

bercrystal and judy like this.
  9. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

No, they are just handles, I have never seen this form with an extra locking mechanism and I have sold many, the flaps hold the decanters in. Tantalus usually have handles to move them around from room to room, the top bar ones normally have a handle on top. Gaming tantalus have them on the sides - they do look a bit unusual so may be replacement handles in this case.

Tantalus was a marketing word by George Betjemann (Company) who first made them in their well known form and took the word from Greek mythology. So the word is like using 'Hoover' for a vacuum cleaner.

Bakersgma, judy and kyratango like this.
  10. journeymagazine

Any idea what the mark on the lock means? (I don't think they'd make a lock out of silver, right?)
    Also, one of the decanter's top is chipped - should I leave it as is - or I could probably find one that fits from another decanter; there are usually a couple in the thrift store every day?
    Finally - the screws in the hinges holding the doors on are small slot screws - does that help give an idea of it's age? (I will take a clearer photo today)
    Thank you all for the help - I have never heard of these before!

DECANTER HOLDER WOOD 9AA.JPG DECANTER HOLDER WOOD 2AA (2).JPG DECANTER HOLDER WOOD 5AAA.JPG

judy likes this.
  11. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It's the makers mark, hardware often had the makers stamp on it. It will be silver plated brass. Date range for this is 1870-1910, given the decanter style, most likely late Victorian rather than Edwardian.

I would stick with the stopper as is, getting an exact match is going to be very hard, and an odd stopper will hurt the value more than a one damaged like this.

Here's a similar one I sold recently:

1060 oak tantalus-3.jpg

12. journeymagazine

Wow - that looks like mine (but a lot nicer)! When I looked up tantalus most of the ones I saw didn't have the decanters exposed like mine & yours - is it a certain style with a name? Or should I just list as Victorian Tantalus Complete w/Original Decanters
    Thank you
    PS - Yours really is beautiful - should I try to wipe a wood oil on mine or leave as is?

Bronwen and judy like this.
  13. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Do oil and wax it, it could not possibly hurt its look and value but quite the opposite.
    I guess in this case, it was actually more of a drinks "station" that a safe (for when you can trust your staff). Very nice!

Bronwen and judy like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I agree, leave the stopper be. The lock is marked M&Co.

kyratango likes this.
  15. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The word was used in at least one Sherlock Holmes story without being capitalized, so has been generic for a long time now. Another item Holmes & Watson had was a gasogene, guessing originally also a brand.

16. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

I would call it a 'Games Tantalus' rather than just Tantalus, and you probably want 'oak' in there too.

kyratango likes this.
  17. journeymagazine

Draft saved Draft deleted