Any info on today's thrift store find - very cool Joan Miro poster/print

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Nov 24, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this today at my local thrift store - I was lucky because I saw it on the cart as it was being brought out & when I asked the lady if I could PLEASE!! have it, she gave it to me.
    There's a small water stain on the left middle edge but it's still one of the coolest pieces by him that I've seen! And the backing looks like it may have some age.
    There is also some type on the bottom left corner that I'm guessing is the printer? Be cause it's in french I not sure .
    Has anyone seen this piece before? Is it a exhibition poster with the text on both sides? How old is it.
    Thanks in advance; I appreciate any help.
    PS - I didn't mind the stain too much because the piece was only $12.95(!) - but could I / should I touch it up with some white nail polish or paint?

ART PRINT MIRO THRIFT STORE FIND 1AA.JPG ART PRINT MIRO THRIFT STORE FIND 2AA.JPG ART PRINT MIRO THRIFT STORE FIND 3AA.JPG ART PRINT MIRO THRIFT STORE FIND 4AA.JPG ART PRINT MIRO THRIFT STORE FIND 5AA.JPG

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like a Gallery advertizing poster..

3. komokwa

if u can fix a water stain that's is bleeding acid from the mat, yer a better man than I !!!!

4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Easy fix, just get the whole piece wet and water stain will disappear - drying it flat, though, well, you have to be set up a bit for that.

Oh and Maeght is Miro's publisher, so no problem there.

5. komokwa

how will getting it wet then dry...help with the acid that the mat is leaching onto the paper.........? Eh ?

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's this but appears to be cropped within frame. Better open it up and see what you have.

Debora

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 12.02.09 PM.png

blooey likes this.
  7. journeymagazine

Not counting the matting mine is about 26" x 21.5" - should I open it Debora?

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes. Think the original poster should look like this. Yours may have been cropped/folded to fit frame (which, if original, would impact value.)

Debora

11687381815.jpg

aaroncab likes this.
  9. komokwa

poorly framed fer sure..........

aaroncab likes this.
  10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

magic! ;)

That isn't what is happening - we are not talking mat burn here - this is just a water stain. Wet any print at one place like this and this will happen.

When I was a paper and print dealer I did loads of these - it will flow away and disappear if the whole poster is wet, but as I mentioned, drying large pieces of paper PROPERLY will require a good setup.

You don't have to believe me BTW:banghead::D

11. journeymagazine

I believe you - I'm just scared to try it! lol
    Won't the white of poster become that of color of stain above?

12. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

You might try lightening the stain with artist's chalk/pastel "dust." I use a set of various colors that I bought at a thrift store so I can blend colors to match what I'm trying to fix. I first rub the chalk sticks vigorously on a separate piece of paper until there's an accumulation of dust, then use a Qtip or dry artist's brush to blend the colors until it looks right, then brush/rub the blended dust onto the stain. It's kind of a trial and error process. If some gets onto other areas it can usually be removed with a dry or damp brush or Qtip. It's not a perfect solution, but can make a stain less noticeable.

13. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

First, be sure what you have and its potential value. If worth it, contact a paper conservator. Washing paper, particularly a large piece, is not for amateurs unless you are ready to end up with a worse mess.

Probably better to sell it as is and let the buyer decide what to do about the stain.

aaroncab and Lucille.b like this.
  14. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

It related to an exhibition held at the Maeght Galley in 1961. It also gives you the full picture, and I think the backside too.

Miro.jpg

2manybooks likes this.
  15. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

My posting came from a sale:
    ARTS DU XXE SIÈCLE
    Vendredi 25 Mai 2018 14:00
    Salle 5 - Drouot-Richelieu, 9, rue Drouot 75009 Paris

Estimate: €60 to €80
    Hammer price: €10

Draft saved Draft deleted