Featured any information on this chinese(?) soapstone(?) lion carving

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by beleriand, Mar 9, 2017.

1. beleriand

beleriand New Member

[​IMG]

I've looked everywhere, but I can't find anything very close. I've found other pieces that contain the same thematic elements, but they're in a different style. I found some snuff bottles that seem to be carved in a similar style, but it's not enough to go on. I assume it's Chinese and that it's soapstone (It looks even more like soapstone in person - higher gloss, more green.). It's about 9" tall and 13" wide. There are some clouds carved into the back but no other markings.

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Im no oriental expert,but that seems exceedingly well done!It couldnt hurt to shoot off some emails to some big name auction houses.Lovely piece.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Definitely Chinese and probably soapstone. I'm no expert, but that's NICE.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree completely..... so much better than what we usually see here. Also, your photo is incredible. You might try the top tier houses but, if you don't get a favorable response, try Skinners or Bonhams.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The photos are not detailed enough,it may be older and hand carved or newer and completely machine carved.No one can really tell from an online photo.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's not true..

Joshua Brown and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Wow, wow, wow, this is gorgeous!
    An older piece, handcarved in Shoushan stone, not soapstone.
    Shoushan stone is agalmatolite from Fujian province in China. Shoushan carvings are worth much more than soapstone, though not as much as jade.
    The subject is a celestial lioness with her cubs, playing in the clouds with a brocade ball. The brocade ball is exquisitely carved. The ball represents the coveted Buddhist pearl of wisdom, something you often see with Chinese celestial dragons.
    Love it, as you may have noticed.
    Another wow!

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Here is a Shoushan stone carving with the same subject matter as yours, older, but not as exquisitely done:
    http://en.51bidlive.com/Item/97733

Hard to tell from a photograph, but I would think yours is 1960's. If you can take it to an expert who can take a closer look and feel of the stone, they could give you a better estimate of the period.

judy and Joshua Brown like this.
  9. beleriand

beleriand New Member

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking when I bought it.

I can't take credit for that. It was provided by the seller.

Thanks so much for the information.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted