Any information would be very helpful

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by oz-marsh, Aug 28, 2020.

1. oz-marsh

oz-marsh New Member

Girlfriend imported from overseas but amazingly has no idea where from

She thinks its Brazilian Sucupira wood but, again, not sure..

IF you have any suggestions as to what is wood it is and where it may have come from that would be brilliant.

Thanks in advance

e2583b89-1af5-4ed5-93b9-db664d1c71c4 (1).jpg 3c5a12a5-297a-44f2-b15e-6ccb583fe486 (1).jpg .jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    sabre123 and Aquitaine like this.
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Hi, Oz. Can you please edit your post and check the box for full images?

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Styling suggests an Asian origin. The exotic wood inlay could have come from anywhere though.

4. oz-marsh

oz-marsh New Member

Thank you for the quick replies, i am on my way over to try and find any markings under the table, etc

Aquitaine likes this.
  5. oz-marsh

oz-marsh New Member

Unfortuantly i cant get access to the table now but would you recommend for me to get someone to appreciate to price or do I scrap it?
    Thanks

6. verybrad

Value really depends on where you are. Here in my semi-rural Midwest US location this would sell for under $150.00 at auction and maybe double that at retail. You might do better than that in a big city. Assuming you are in Australia? You would need to compare to similar locally for value. This is just used furniture so you can compare to similar sized sets. Doesn't need to be exact.

7. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Can remember seeing similar 'Oriental' inspired dining sets in the 1970s-'80s here in the U.S., most with similar exotic veneer tabletops - the chair backs usually had just a wide slat, but can recall a few with that pressed caning (always struck me as a bit incongruous)...

~Cheryl

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

I'm confused. It looks like a very serviceable table with seating for 8. If your girlfriend imported it for her use, why would you consider scrapping it?

Fid likes this.
  9. oz-marsh

oz-marsh New Member

It too large. Ideally I'd sell but I just cant keep it taking up a whole room

10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Take the leaf out.;)

Any Jewelry and DragonflyWink like this.
  11. oz-marsh

oz-marsh New Member

Sorry the size isnt actually the reason, i hate it and want it gone. She is happy to get rid of it for $300. Im close to just paying it to her myself and dumping it.

12. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Dont dump it. Put it on the curb with a "free" sign and itll be gone in no time. That plastic looking veneer was very popular in the 60s-70s,lord knows why.

13. oz-marsh

oz-marsh New Member

I am being told is solid Sucupria (Brazilian chestnut) is there anyway this is possible?

14. oz-marsh

oz-marsh New Member

I have got more images below. The last image is of the extension leg a.jpg b.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg

15. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

@oz-marsh None of my biz... but I'd seriously reconsider a relationship with someone who wants to scrap my stuff... not a good start. The table is nice for someone who likes to entertain. My suspicion is that she does and you don't. Which is why a room for it out of the question for you... Tell me to go pound sand--I will :rolleyes::oops::(:p

16. oz-marsh

oz-marsh New Member

Not that it is any of your business, she imported this too well it was too small for my house especially with all renovations being done. She refuses to let me throw it away and was some of her money back so I am currently trying to find out the value.

17. lizjewel

@oz-marsh Like you said, and I said, none of my biz. I'm sure you will sort it. If I were her I'd be sorted already, DR set 'n all. Furniture is not worth it to let you decide your lives. But individual decisions are always indications as to where it's heading :shifty::shy::rolleyes::oops::angelic::stop:

18. lizjewel

..my hubby bought a bigger house... I was well looked after :shame:

19. oz-marsh

oz-marsh New Member

Thanks for your input

20. verybrad

Not solid. Can see the fiberboard center in your last pic. Some of the wood in the framing looks like oak. The exotic wood in the center is most definitely a veneer.

This would be a reasonable retail price for this. Might get it by selling via internet sales venue with local pick up, depending on where you are.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted