Featured Any meaning to the design elements on this 1920s table lamp?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Sedona, Apr 7, 2024.

1. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

I’ve had my eye on this 1920s metal table lamp, with original paper shade, at a local antiques store, for some time, and because they are moving soon I decided to buy it.

It is described as a Spanish colonial revival lamp, but the shade seems to have some Deco-ish ray pattern. It’s hard to tell from the photos, but the very bottom edge of the paper shade has some green color, i.e. it’s not all blue. The rays remind me of the Arizona state flag, but that flag has no green in it.

The metal lamp base seems to have a similar finish (I can’t tell what kind of metal it is), except the oval-shaped center (where the red and blue stripe are) could have had a green polychrome finish at one point. There is a blue and red stripe on both sides.

I know we have a lot of experts on design from that era. How would you describe the various design elements and the lamp?

It seems to have a mixture of styles.

As it’s supposedly 1920s American I was wondering if the red and blue stripe were to signify something patriotic. Or, it also seems to evoke a car’s front grill.

I can’t get a higher resolution photo, but the various bulges in the top part of the center oval piece are not drips from poor casting, but part of the design. So, each side is symmetrical, but not the top part to the bottom part.

There are no makers marks on it, and the seller had no idea who made it.

IMG_3392.jpeg IMG_3391.jpeg IMG_3390.jpeg IMG_3389.jpeg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I don't see Spanish Colonial Revival. And I think the shade might be a tad later than base. But could be wrong.

Debora

johnnycb09 and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Interesting and unique but also a little odd looking. I would also have thought the shade is not original to the lamp.

4. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Base is Eastlake style.

komokwa, johnnycb09 and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

My grandparents had a lamp with a base like that.

sabre123, komokwa and johnnycb09 like this.
  6. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

So, 19th century/Victorian era?

Any idea as to what the blue and red polychrome stripes are for? I’ve seen a ton of antique table lamps but have never seen any with similar stripes.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Turn-ish of the century.

Debora

8. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I have never seen stripes like that on a riser piece either.

Did you try the magnet test on the metals?

pearlsnblume likes this.
  9. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

No, I didn’t think of that.

I wonder what the center oval design element is as well. As it’s cast it’s not a unique piece, and yet I haven’t seen anything else vaguely close to it. We have a very large, elaborately made stained glass lamp, and one of the members here was able to identify the base from a period catalogue.

Although I’m certainly not a vintage lighting expert, I haven’t seen polychrome on pieces this age. I think that’s why the antiques dealer pegged it as 1920s.

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Are you sure the paint is original? It could have been added to integrate the base with a newer shade. And the switch looks as if it's been added/replaced at a later date.

Debora

Last edited: Apr 11, 2024
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Bakersgma, komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  12. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

komokwa likes this.
  13. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

The one my granparents had had a huge lampshade on it.

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like the base was used on several different models........I'd like to see under the base..

pearlsnblume likes this.
  15. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone.

No doubt the switch on the bottom was added. I’ll try to get a photo of the underneath.

I’m also still looking online for examples of the oval section.

komokwa likes this.
  16. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I’ve seen the same plinth on a different base. The lamp was from the 1930s; I see no reason to doubt that this one is also from the 1930s.

17. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

That oval section looks like a car hood ornament or grille badge to me.

antidiem likes this.
  18. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Here is something that's close and new in glass:
    3.png

19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

oh, I'll take that thank you !!:hungry::hungry:

20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Not your question but... This is a palmette.

Debora

IMG_3390 2.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted