Featured Any reason to not turn this necklace into a bracelet? 1960s or 70s Los Castillo

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, Jan 21, 2023.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Found this great piece at an estate earlier. It is a very nice Los Castillo necklace from the 60s or 70s perhaps? Mosaic stone work even though I have no idea what kind of stone it is? It fits like a very tight choker and is something I wouldn't wear.... however it fit great as a bracelet. It is held together by silver rings. I can't imagine shortening it to a bracelet would be bad... is there any reason why I shouldn't do such a thing?
    20230121_003419.jpg 20230121_003429.jpg 20230121_003446.jpg

2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Nice!
    The question is... How much links should you have to remove (keeping in mind the way they have to be connected to keep the wavy effect!)? Would it lay appropriately on a wrist once reduced?
    If yes, keeping aside the value matter of which I have no idea :shy:, I'd do it to be able to wear it:)

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Not exactly mosaic. Inlaid with crushed azurite/malachite from what I can see.

mirana, PepperAnna, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Certainly inlaid stone, Can't see if it is that crushed stuff.
    Question is, would you actually wear it as a bracelet?

I wouldn't mess with it, but be happy that I have a perfectly designed Los Castillos choker.
    If you ever want to restore it to an original Castillos design, you'd have to solder the rings again. Is that worth it just to have another bracelet, whereas the design works so well as a choker?
    If it doesn't fit, you can always sell it. There are plenty of people who would wear it as it was intended.
    Don't mean to sound harsh, but that is my opinion.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
    Bronwen, komokwa, PepperAnna and 4 others like this.
  5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t personally but if you did, like Kyra said I’d want to be sure it would lie correctly on the wrist and by the time you know the answer it may be too late to backtrack.
    Alternatively look for the same make and style on eBay as a bracelet as they were probably produced as matching items. Or see if a Jeweller can fit an extension of sorts to the back so it’s not so tight?

mirana, Bronwen, PepperAnna and 5 others like this.
  6. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Agree with you and AJ, K, better not to do permanent alterations on a good piece you can sell:)

Bronwen, quirkygirl, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  7. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Nice necklace!
    It's yours now and you can do what you want with it. That being said, I echo what AJ, KSW, and Kyra have already stated.
    Keep in mind that these box clasps often come loose from being pressed over time, and on a bracelet, it would also stand a chance of accidently being hit or pressed ... causing it to come open. It should have a safety catch or chain of some sort if you plan on wearing it often (in my opinion). I don't know if a safety catch could be soldered on (maybe with a laser welder?) without harming the inlay.

Any Jewelry, Bronwen, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I echo the gals............leave it be !

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Same here. When stone is inlaid like that, messing with the piece is the plain begging for it. I'd leave it as the silversmith made it.

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted