Featured Any Thomas Gainsborough Experts in the House?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Ghopper1924, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Or do you know anyone who is?

I see those "authentication" sites on the net, but I don't trust them.

The dealio is that I just inherited a landscape painting that is either by Gainsborough or his nephew, Gainsborough Dupont. Needless to say there is a difference in value. I don't have any desire to sell it, but one likes to know, right? I did have a friend with wide knowledge look at it yesterday, and he confirmed that it was painted in the 18th century by a master with some serious academic painting knowledge. Although that matches Uncle T.G. for sure, it might also describe the nephew, who learned at uncle's knee. Anyway, my friend knows painting, but not 18th century English landscape.

So......can anyone hook me up?

2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

How exciting!. Please can we see it when you are able to show it?

Ghopper1924 and i need help like this.
  3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

If it were me, and I know it will never be ;), I would look for a museum that may be able to help. Do you live in or anywhere near a large city?

KSW and Ghopper1924 like this.
  4. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Did the estate you inherited it out of do any valuation or appraisal on it? If it is a Gainsborough there might be tax/insurance implications you may want to keep in mind.

pearlsnblume, KSW and Ghopper1924 like this.
  5. Ghopper1924

Marie, I'm about halfway in between 2 large cities: 3 hours one way to each. Actually, an expert in a major gallery in one of the cities looked at it about 10 years ago when my dad had it, but did not write anything down. The expert is gone now.

Joe, it was valued many decades ago. The problem is whether the painting was done by Gainsborough (big money) or his nephew (much less money). I'm happy either way, since I don't intend to sell it. But I sure would like to know who dunnit!

6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

With big names like that, it is often very difficult to get anyone to commit to an attribution as they are usually afraid to get behind it because it may be refuted down the road.
    You can get opinions, I can even do that for you, but when it comes down to it unless you have provenance or the piece is in the catalogue raisonné, you are pretty much out of luck.

Sorry!

7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Antiques Roadshow?

8. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I'm so excited for you. What a treasure. You will have to find out for insurance purposes.

pearlsnblume and Ghopper1924 like this.
  9. Ghopper1924

@blooey your first paragraph is spot-on. I have letters back to 1969 about it, when my grandfather owned the painting. People tend to vote for Gainsborough Dupont, although they "leave the door open" for Thomas as well. I suspect it's for exactly the reason you stated.

I think that the painting has been in our family since the 1960s. Before that, we have a name in England (where my grandfather purchased it) of an owner who died in the 1880s. He purchased it from the Gainsborough family.

One other thing: I can find no signature at all on the painting.

So I'll post a pic or two and some background information anon.

10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

There was a Gainsborough in the local museum... or maybe not. Every time I went in, it seemed the label changed - Gainsborough... attributed to Gainsborough... circle of Gainsborough... Gainsborough... Follower of Gainsborough.. Gainsborough... Still one of my favorites regardless of who painted it.

Figtree3, KSW, pearlsnblume and 3 others like this.
  11. Ghopper1924

OK, so here's a photo to give you a general idea. The painting depicts a girl on a donkey with a dog next to them within a Suffolk, England landscape. Yes, the bottom third of the painting is very dark, although unexpected colors and detail are revealed under a bright light. A note on the back is handwritten in script and is very difficult to read. I'd say it's from the early 20th century, but that's a guess. The note is not signed. Oh, and the frame is recent: P1010385.JPG
    The note on the back, affixed to the mahogany board on which the work is painted, is written in script and says:

"Thomas Gainsborough:

Born 1724 - Died 1788

View in Suffolk on panel size 14 1/2 x 16 1/2

This painting on panel was painted in the year 1754 & was presented to his nephew Dupont. This painting also passed into the hands of John Graham, Esqi of Shelwouelie (??), Glasgow, where it remained till after his death in 1886, & was sold then in London.

The figure on the donkey is one of Gainsborough's daughters."

P1010386.JPG

Blurry, but it wouldn't help even if it wasn't. It took me several minutes of close study to figure out the text.

I've also got a letter written to my grandfather in Canada in 1969. A Dr. Shepherd of the National Gallery says it is unlikely to be a Gainsborough, and that it was probably done by Gainsborough Dupont (1754-1796). He goes on to say that it is authentic to the 18th century and of superior quality, and that distinguishing Dupont's work from Thomas Gainsborough's is difficult, then goes on to say that the "View of Suffolk" (the correct title) could be by Gainsborough, but that positive authentication should be made by a Gainsborough scholar.

The painting was cleaned about 10 years ago. It was (and is) in excellent condition; darkness on the surface at that time was attributable to linseed oil, which the restorer said was consistent with an 18th century date.

So there you go. Dr. Shepherd would not place a value on the work, but an "unofficial" one instead, based on it being by Gainsborough Dupont. He also says that there are many small early landscapes by Gainsborough that remain undiscovered.

Thus my original question. Does anyone know of any Gainsborough experts? :)

12. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Wow! Wow! Wow! Have you considered contacting Hugh Belsey to see what he would charge?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'm sure that the major auction houses offer authentication services. You might contact some museums and ask them to recommend someone. Whoever does it is not going to be cheap.

14. Ghopper1924

Thanks folks!

Kiko, I think you've nailed it. Hugh Belsey looks like the guy I need to talk to. Unfortunately, his web site does not offer a direct e-mail contact. I wrote one of his publishers in hopes that they would provide something, so here's hoping!!

Figtree3 likes this.
  15. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  16. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I think it’s Skelmorlie.

Figtree3 likes this.
  17. Ghopper1924

Well done! INH is THE BEST!! :)

18. Debora