Any Wood Experts Here? Another Wooden Box Id Needed

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by SYNCHRONCITY, Jul 11, 2020.

1. SYNCHRONCITY

SYNCHRONCITY Well-Known Member

I just found another miniature blanket chest of the era that @Adrian Lewis attributed mine too. It has similar features such as the little ripples or tiny little divots that look like faint dentils(?) on the edges, nails scattered on the bottom, similar hinges, lock and key and very comparable joints (joinery).

Perhaps my box was made in Pennsylvania? Massachusetts is very close in location to Pennsylvania so it could have easily ended up in Massachusetts. Every mini blanket chest that looks very similar to mine from that era on the internet happens to be from Pennsylvania. I could be wrong, but this and the other Pennsylvanian boxes that I have found on the internet, really reminds me of the style of my box although this example is somewhat bigger.

Here is the dealers description and some of his photos...
    blanket chest 7.jpg

blanket chest 4.jpg blanket chest 5.jpg blanket chest 6.jpg

Here is a closeup of those little ripples on my box (don't know what they are called), that is similar to the edges of the box I see in the online dealer's photos (See first picture of this reply). I could be seeing things and maybe it is not little square shaped ripples and just grain or an optical illusion.
    BOX WOOD ripples.jpg

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  2. David Kiehl

David Kiehl Well-Known Member

I am glad you have a key that works. I must tell you that Jeff Drum gave a perfect response. You can not change the woodworking techniques used to manufacture this box not the wood. And Jeff nailed his description. It is a beautiful box so just enjoy it.

SYNCHRONCITY likes this.
  3. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

I need say no more than Jeff really other than everyone wants their piece to be the best the world has ever seen. Unfortunately this box screams 1920 onwards, it's not an apprentice piece or even a blanket box and probably the only hand tool it ever saw was a screwdriver to do up the hinges. There are many 1000's of 19th c inexpensive handmade boxes out there of this type, all that needs to be done is some quick research into construction and finishing, I may add that wood age is almost impossible to fake, the natural oxidation is very hard to reproduce with chemicals, and the chemicals themselves are hard to obtain. I live in the UK, and I will admit there are many differences between countries and their constructions but if your going to collect knowledge is key, fortunately you have many lifelong collectors at you fingertips to ask before you buy on this site. Please don't take offence if someone tells you your piece isn't the best, I don't think there is anyone on here that wouldn't rather say "WOW it's the best I ever seen, it must be worth a fortune"

SYNCHRONCITY likes this.
  4. SYNCHRONCITY

SYNCHRONCITY Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reply and explanation. I got lucky. A buyer came into the antique mall that I have booths in yesterday and fell in love with this box and paid $300 for it. I just threw a number out there and was shocked that a customer was willing to pay that much. I told her I didn't know how old it was and it was possibly made in the 20's-50's. She loved it and said it spoke to her. I was going to keep it in my own collection, but wanted to experiment and put it in my shop to see if there would be any interest.

My mom always said there was an ass for every seat and what is not one person's cup of tea will be right up another's alley. I had fun hearing everyone's replies here and want to thank you all for helping me.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    808 raver likes this.
  5. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

I am so very glad you managed to get many many times it's value. After my valuation (£15) I did say to myself "I suppose it matters what country you are in" Here in the UK we are blessed with antiques in abundance whereas in other countries they are few and far between, prices must be a lot higher in newer countries. I just don't see why overseas dealers aren't buying from ebay UK and selling in their own countries and making a small fortune. I have been known to buy from the US when a rare item isn't recognised.

Draft saved Draft deleted