Featured Anybody know what this was used for?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lorianne, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Lorianne

Lorianne New Member

This belonged to my great-grandmother, who was born in 1878. There is a B & Co Limoges France mark on the inside of the top & additional marks on the bottom as pictured. I cannot find much online about it & am curious if the 2 holes in the "base" on eithier side of the lid are a clue to its origins/usage. My mother always thought it was some sort of pin cushion doll because the original owner was a dressmaker, but it seems too large for that (shes about 5" wide & 5" tall). Any help appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Quite often something with holes on the side and a covered larger hole in the center are inkwells. Don't know about yours for sure.

3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Lorianne and i need help like this.
  5. Bronwen

Pieces like one posted are described both as dresser boxes & powder boxes; inkwells by them are also turning up. Think g'g'ma didn't do the painting, but purpose still a bit uncertain.

6. Lorianne

Lorianne New Member

Amazing! I have been looking for days. bThe initials are not my great grandmothers. Not sure whose they might be. My understanding was that it was a gift to her, so perhaps the giver initialed it. I will have to do more family research to find out i guess.. Just knowing what it is is very helpful!

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Bronwen

Going by what descriptions of others we found say, initials are those of person who painted it & it is not home hobbyist work. BTW, welcome to Antiquers. :)

i need help likes this.
  8. Bronwen

Think the one SIS found nails it as an inkwell, missing the insert. The holes would be for dip pens.

[​IMG]

i need help and komokwa like this.
  9. Lorianne

Lorianne New Member

You guys are great! I appreciate your time so very much.

say_it_slowly, komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  10. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

The B&C mark is Bernardaud & Co. It dates your piece to 1914-1930's which would fit the style of your jar. Aladin is most likely an atelier that decorated the plain white porcelain ink well they bought from Bernardaud. It really is a very lovely item.
    Don

Bronwen and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted