Anybody read Greek? plate an tile

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by AlienArtifactZ, Feb 16, 2018.

1. picked up this plate and tile awhile back. check em out

https://imgur.com/a/MTZBG

any idea what the one plate says? kai means and, apparently. not sure who the figures are either

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Vulcan forging armor for Achilles at the request of Minerva ( Greek names:Hephaestus-Achilles-Athena)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  3. Bronwen

The other one just says Youths with a Deer.

Figtree3 and AlienArtifactZ like this.
  4. awesome. but achilles was a greek hero? but hes depicted with roman gods? maybe my history is off or was there some overlap there in history

also, could you elaborate on the "youths and deer"? which word is whicj exactly? i google translated deer, youths etc and it doesnt come up with anything close to resembling the words on the plate

5. Bronwen

I confused the issue by using the Latin names. It is from the Iliad, so everybody is Greek. I had a senior moment & started thinking the Aeneid.

I will let you look up the word ephebe. Epheboi is the plural. The word for deer appears to be misspelled. On the plate it has 2 Ls, but should be elaphos.

AlienArtifactZ likes this.
  6. ok cool thats quite informative thank you. and that's understandable lol when our brains are almost as ancient as the history we read about things can get confusing hahaha i know how it is!

i like this greek stuff but might end up selling them or hanging them on the wall for now.

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Bronwen

Pretty sure they are tourist souvenirs. If they give you pleasure, keep them. They are not going to make you rich.

AlienArtifactZ likes this.
  8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Very typical souvenirs and with that damage, I wouldn't think they have value as a resale.

komokwa and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted