Featured Anybody use Antique Postage on their Letters / Packages?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Joe2007, Dec 20, 2023.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Recently purchased a collection of older stamps (1920's to 1960's) for a fairly inexpensive price. I was going through the unused stamps and was wondering if any of you use antique/vintage stamps as regular postage? I have a lot of 4, 6, & 8 cent stamps that might be useable if you can fit enough of them on an envelope. Not sure if it would be easy to use the 1, 2, 3 cent stamps except in limited circumstances.

Going to have a friend that knows stamps to go over them to make sure I am not using any stamps with value over face.

Your Thoughts,
    Joe2007

Bronwen, pearlsnblume and Figtree3 like this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I bought some stamps online and I went to the post office and showed them the stamps, and they said they were okay.

Bronwen, pearlsnblume and Figtree3 like this.
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

True! Maybe in combination with old ones of larger denominations. Unless the post office accepts lots of stamps attached on the back of an envelope. Maybe they used to accept that, but not sure now.

Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

You will not have any worth more than face value
    Nearly all stamp collectors are gone
    I have friends that would use a larger box just to fit more on it

Bronwen and Figtree3 like this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Package I received
    upload_2023-12-20_11-8-57.jpeg

Using old stamps can slow the process down because they are not recognized by modern sorting machinery.

I see some countries are producing stamps with barcodes and advising that older stamps will no longer be processed.

So, at best, the clock is ticking.

6. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

That is absolutely wonderful I have sent letters with strings of stamps, because I had leftover postcard stamps, but that is something else

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I use some older ones. My late father was a collector since the 30s. We're using the plate blocks . American stamps can still be used no matter the age.

KikoBlueEyes and Bronwen like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

U.K. stamps now have QR codes, but you can still use any old pictorial or non definitive stamps as well. I do that a lot.

9. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

There are postage buying services... however, they only pay a fraction of the face value. In the case of old non-forever stamps under the current first class value of 66 cents, they only pay 30%.
    https://www.returnmystamps.com/

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I just used 2002 stamps, to pay a bill !!

11. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

As for now US Postage stamps don’t expire & can be used.

12. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I’ve received several packages with them. It’s a fun and potentially money saving idea. I somehow can’t bring myself to use them. Even though I know their value is negligible and no one wants them. Still feels wrong to me to “ruin” them. I’ll hopefully get over that and laugh all the way to the bank. I‘ve got loads laying around that I bought for peanuts. DAF092E6-AA86-4CA9-8BF9-91C68942B910.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2023
    Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  13. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

In a similar but altogether different vein I went to a coin store yesterday. I was getting a gold watch engraved for my father as he’s retiring at the end of the month. My whole life I’ve heard him mention companies giving employees gold watches on important work anniversaries or retirement. Pretty sure after giving the company he is at 40 years of his life he won’t be getting one from them. In fact they are closing their doors at the end of the month. He had already decided to retire at this time before hearing the news. I had also decided to buy him the watch before hearing the news. The news just reinforced that it was a good idea. They aren’t even extending the employees health insurance for a short while once the doors shutter. Let alone giving out gold watches I don’t imagine. So I found a moderately priced gold watch and went to the cities jewelry building to have it engraved. I had a little time left on my meter so ventured to the coin store to see if they had any fun “scrap” type stuff. I didn’t see a scrap box but chatted with the owner for a while. He talked about how he used to pay rent on the 1st of the month and how now he’s lucky to pay it on the last of the month. Cool old school guy without a computer or phone. Just a red book. I felt bad leaving without making a purchase so I bought a three cent nickel which I didn’t already have one of and which he told me was his favorite coin to collect. I could have got one cheaper elsewhere I’m positive but I was happy to spend a few bucks more there. Anywho with my change I got a $2 bill which was fun. I forgot that coin shops hand out fun change. Kind of like getting old stamps on your package. As I walked back to my car I passed a meter maid at a nearby intersection. Got to my car to see it expired. I opened the door and sat down happy to have not gotten a ticket. Not ten seconds later I look up and see the meter maid looking down at my meter and then up at me in my running car. Not this time! Maybe buying something from the old timer was one karma point enough in the right direction that it balanced out not getting a ticket it for me. Or maybe it was an early present from old St. Nick.

14. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

mint unused stamps have value to a collector ,used stamps don't

15. evelyb30

Maybe. (sigh)

16. lloyd249

error stamps are the rarest and cost the most used or unused ,stamps are actually making a come back , crossing my fingers lol I have an extensive collection

17. evelyb30

Crossing my fingers for anyone who still has them.

lloyd249 likes this.
  18. lloyd249

and toes hehe

19. lloyd249

Merry xmas to all of you fine collectors and pickers . hope you have a great time finding and collecting in 2024.

J Dagger likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted