anyone can tell me anything about this vase?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by lynn DB, Jun 1, 2019.

1. lynn DB

lynn DB New Member

It stands 23' tall and 42 round- very heavy- has hole Drainage? 20180603_153610.jpg

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

What's it made of? It's big at 23". Maybe a cane or umbrella stand?

Looks cold-painted. That means the finish is fragile and could easily be washed off.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

can we see the bottom...

i need help and aaroncab like this.
  4. lynn DB

lynn DB New Member

Someone else told me cold painted- Never heard of before- Very heavy- I don't know what its made of or what year or era or use ??

5. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

We really do need to see the bottom. Sometimes you can tell if the owner drilled the hole to make it into a lamp or maybe it came with the hole because it used to be a lamp. I can't imagine why a large vase would have a drain hole--it's not a planter.

dgbjwc and i need help like this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Cold painted means that someone took the finished vase and painted the scene on it using ordinary paints.

Frequently the colors or designs on vases are applied using materials that are made permanent by firing (baking) them in a kiln. No firing is involved in cold-painting, which is why it is called "cold".

Cold color designs are not secure. They just sit on the surface and can easily be damaged.

dgbjwc and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted