Anyone decipher this?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by rhiwfield, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The year of publication is not the years covered. I'm only looking at the Stadlinger bit, but through there it is 1851-52.

rhiwfield likes this.
  2. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Going through Debora's link and see that her name is Caroline von Stadlinger daughter of General Stadlinger of Comburg.

Given that Caroline is mentioned in the body of the note, could this have been written by her mother or father?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, thanks to that information I could decipher Generalmajor von Stadlinger!
    I'll take another look at the rest.

rhiwfield likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

I thought I could decipher more using the information that those funny letters spelt Generalmajor, but he seems to write the same letter different every time.
    I hope he had a good secretary.

5. rhiwfield

I think he may be generalmajor leo ignatz von stadlinger, but unsure

6. rhiwfield

The gist of Deboras link was that Caroline was begged to come back to Britain to help with the wedding of Alford's daughter, at no expense to the Stadlingers.

7. Any Jewelry

Could be Leo Ignaz, I came across him when I was researching the name. He is quoted a lot on German sites, he wrote "Geschichte des württembergischen Kriegswesens" in 1856.

rhiwfield likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

So, this note was written by the General to Mrs. Alford, instead of the other way round, right?

9. rhiwfield

Starting to look that way!

10. Any Jewelry

Yes it was written by the general major to Mrs. Alford.
    I am trying to see if I can recognize Heirat, wedding, or anything wedding related, but nothing yet.

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It isn't Hoch Deutsch handwriting though.

rhiwfield likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Something on the father:
    "Leo Ignaz von Stadlinger, (*1792 in Schwäbisch Gmünd, † 1872 in Stuttgart), 1850 Generalmajor und Kommandant der Bürgerwehr, ist besonders auch als Militärschriftsteller hervorgetreten. Sein bekanntestes Werk ist die Geschichte des württembergischen Kriegswesens, erschienen 1856 in der K. [Königlichen] Hofdruckerei zu Guttenberg in Stuttgart. Dazu gehören auch 36 Blätter mit Bildern württembergischer Uniformen, gezeichnet vom Lithographen S. M. Kirn in Berg bei Stuttgart."

Translation
    Leo Ignaz von Stadlinger (* 1792 in Schwäbisch Gmünd, † 1872 in Stuttgart), 1850 major general and commander of the Home Guard, is renowned as a military writer. His most famous work is the Geschichte des württembergischen Kriegswesens (history of the Württemberg military), published in 1856 in the Royal Court Printingworks atGuttenberg in Stuttgart. This includes 36 sheets with pictures of Württemberg uniforms, drawn by the lithographer S. M. Kirn in Berg near Stuttgart.

rhiwfield likes this.
  13. Any Jewelry

It is a type of Kurrentschrift, which can be used for both Hochdeutsch and Plattdeutsch. Kurrentschrift was used in the 18th and 19th centuries.

rhiwfield likes this.
  14. Bronwen

It's short & sweet or not so sweet. He is answering on Caroline's behalf. The only things I can think of are that she accepts, she declines, she does or does not have his permission. What is the verb?

kyratango and rhiwfield like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

I wish I knew, I can't decipher anything else.
    I doesn't have to be related to the wedding, it could have been written at another time.

Bronwen, kyratango and rhiwfield like this.
  16. rhiwfield

That is right, it was my assumption that this was wedding related.

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

It is such a short note, it is like von Stadlinger was in the vicinity of Mrs. Alford. If so, he must have visited England, since it was sent to Mrs. Alford at her home address, maybe by messenger. He could have stayed at a hotel nearby. I looked for visits of der Herr Generalmajor to England, but couldn't find anything.

rhiwfield and Bronwen like this.
  18. Bronwen

It sure looks like a wedding invitation reply, on that kind of card. An envelope with a more complete address no longer with it.

He switches to a more modern style when he writes Caroline & Stadlinger. In Tochter & Vater, & other places, the lower case e looks like n, & the lower case r looks like H made smaller. The lower case a is also different, looking like 2 letters instead of one.

I simply can't make ihr out of the word before Caroline. Could it be 'die'? I'm guessing the wording is as antique as the script, that he might say the daughter where we would put my daughter.

Think he wanted to keep the first line on one line, got cramped for space & had to write the last 2 words with less space between them than he would normally use. First is short, ends in z?, & may start with e? (That's not the way he makes m.) I'm handicapped by not being able to guess from a part what the whole word might be. Does it make any sense if the last word, first line, starts Just__ & ends in the same letter as the second word, second line? I'm going with the idea that in the middle of a word he would make an s that looks more like an f.

Thought German puts the verb at the end. Are there times when you would put it up front, as we think it is here? [And so] becomes the daughter adjective noun?

Would expect the next line to be something like Her proud father; von Stadlinger is some other kind of father.

rhiwfield likes this.
  19. Any Jewelry

German and English are related. In German, like in English, a verb usually appears somewhere between beginning and end. A question usually starts with a verb, just like in English. I thought 'wird', will, was the beginning of a question.
    As for the rest of the text, I have no idea.

Edit:
    If it is die Tochter, it could also mean the daughter of mrs. Alford.
    Something in the vein of:
    Will the (your) daughter (need) Caroline (after the wedding). Or can she return to her father.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    rhiwfield and Bronwen like this.
  20. rhiwfield

Just to let you know that I have listed this on Ebay as follows and thank you for all your help!

Generalmajor Leo Ignaz von Stadlinger Signed note to Frances Alford (c1850s)
    "I am indebted to the posters on Antiquers for their research and knowledge on this item.

The note, not fully translated, is from Generalmajor Leo Ignaz von Stadlinger, who commanded the Honorary Invalids Battalion of Württemberg based at Comburg in 1862, though the note may have been much earlier

His daughter, Caroline von Stadlinger was appointed in 1852 to educate the children of Frances and Henry Alford at Wymeswold (Alford later became the Dean of Canterbury)

Some information was obtained from Making of America books "Life, journals and letters of Henry Alford, D. D. late dean of Canterbury, edited by his widow"

The note is written in an archaic form of German and has not proved possible to fully translate

The Generalmajor has lasting fame for his work "Geschichte des württembergischen Kriegswesens "

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted