Anyone ever been to Taxco, Mexico?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by AmericanGeode, Jun 28, 2019.

1. AmericanGeode

AmericanGeode Well-Known Member

I know there are articles on the internet, but seeking any personal insight on Taxco? Is it touristy? Do you take bus tours of the sterling silver factories? What is it like? Are there a plethora of antique shops there? What has anyone who has visited, experienced please? Thank you.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

OMG, yes, I was there waaaaay back in the early '60s, it was a college trip with our Art Instructor and hardly remember it!!!! Back then, I believe it was small, quaint, rustic, friendly and just beginning to get 'touristy'!!! And that much is to the best of my recollection!!!! Sorry!!! If there are Sterling shops there now, I imagine it would be MUCH more FUN!!!!!!

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I was there in the 70s, so no up to date info from me either.
    I don't think there are any sterling silver factories, just a lot of workshops and small shops. I wouldn't know how a bus could negotiate the streets of Taxco. It is a historic town with winding streets, steps and stairs.
    We rented a car in Mexico City and got around the region by ourselves. Much more fun than a bus imo, but then I've never been the organised tourism type.

[​IMG]

I didn't see any when I was there. People don't generally come to Taxco for antiques, but for the beauty and history of the place and for the silver.

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Our Art Instructor was a treasure....she enjoyed taking us to "off the beaten path" places....and we had several rented cars...no buses!! All 'girls'....oh Lord...we were a giddy bunch!!!!

5. AmericanGeode

AmericanGeode Well-Known Member

This is all such great insight and information. Thank you!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Geode, if you go, be sure to walk around the town, get a taste of the atmosphere, and visit the churches and museums.
    Avoid tourist buses (if there are any) like the plague.;)

Aquitaine likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Draft saved Draft deleted