Featured Anyone ever hear of Charles Whiting?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by moreotherstuff, Aug 23, 2015.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

2. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Oh my! Those are indeed little nuggets of beauty!

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Do you know anything about him or how these came to be? I just tried a search and found very little. They are beautiful!

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I know very little. It's called the Congreve Process or Congreve machine, but I haven't tried to look it up yet. Somewhere there's a book of these plates called The Royal Scrap Book of Embossed Heads. I found an auction record online, unsold, that at least described the book's contents. I would guess the price asked was multiple thousands of dollars.

5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Lovely items. Thanks for sharing!

KingofThings likes this.
  7. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

I had not heard of Whiting and his remarkable art, but I found THIS interesting bit of information about him.

THIS is a little history...and Googling "charles whiting" congreve (and clicking on More, then Books) produced links to many additional references...but you know all that, I am sure.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    moreotherstuff and KingofThings like this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Good information. Thanks. As indicated by that first article, Whiting wasn't alone in doing this type of work. Another English company was called Dobbs. Whiting and Dobbs collaborated on the Royal Scrapbook, but Dobbs doesn't get much credit even though he was apparently more familiar with the potentialities of the embossing process.

It was while looking up Dobbs that I came across those auction pages of Georgian Valentines.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted