Anyone familiar with SOLID WESSELL SILVER ?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by wildrose, Apr 6, 2018.

1. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

Here is the photo of the markings on the back of a tray. I think it is possibly German Silver. Googling has not brought up too much. I did find an ad dated 1908 but nothing referring to Wessell. THanks!

wessell.jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I agree that some alloy version of "german silver" is most likely. I can't find any reference to Riverside Metal Co, Wessell Silver or James M Shaw & Co in Rainwater.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I Googled sand found this information on a spitoon, how correct it is I don't know...

This is actually a Silver Plated Spitoon, Wessell Silver Company produced Silver Plate over Brass, circa in the 1800's early part of the 1900's. They did a lot of silver plate for hotels in the New York area during this time, it has an estimated value on the secondary retail market for an of average of $55.00-75.00, depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally. As antiques and collectibles are subject in selling price to different areas across the country..( Larger Metropolitan Areas bring higher prices then Smaller Cities. )

4. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

About 3/4 of the way down THIS page is a little information about Wessell.

5. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Late 19th-early 20th century nickel silver type alloy containing a small amount of silver.

From a 1915 trade publication:
    wessllsilver-waterburybookofalloys1915.jpg

~Cheryl

7. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

0F02D50A-4EAE-4778-BE8E-979ED37D5277.jpeg

And from 1897 (two parts)

E721C041-AC24-427D-BE5D-9FC0A54EE167.jpeg
    E466B473-E528-4012-91E0-738B9496A895.jpeg

8. wildrose

you guys are amazing! I did not find anything like that!! THANK YOU!!

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Wildrose,
    These pieces are usually called Hotel Silver since they were heavily used in the hotel business to keep them nice and gleaming. I used to sell a lot of "hotel plate" on ebay.
    greg

10. wildrose

Thank you again. If there are more responses and I do not reply in a timely matter it is because I plan on sitting with a beer or other alcoholic beverage for the next week at the hot springs and my sisters house in New Mexico.

11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Just to correct the record :oops: - I didn't look far enough into Rainwater. Sure enough, she does have an entry about The Wessell Silver Co. of NY, NY which quotes the entry in the Jeweler's Circular that Morgen posted above.

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted