Featured Anyone famous? Time frame?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by verybrad, Dec 1, 2016.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Another photo belonging to my friend. On matte finish photo paper, 8 x 10. Only thing on the back is the number 10 in pencil. broadwaybar.jpg broadwaybar2.jpg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id guess 40s with those padded shoulders.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. verybrad

Thought those draperies also suggested 1940s.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Do you know what the logo on that pennant stuck to the front of the bar is? If so, you might be able to pin down a date by the logo and font on that pennant. Or possibly from the labels on the bottles, too.

Jack Dempsey owned a restaurant in New York City called Jack Dempsey's Broadway Bar circa 1938-1974.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

That's Bruno 'Ears' O'Gallo.
    He was in charge of testing stock. :)

Figtree3 and Ladybranch like this.
  6. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Believe that is a Statue of Liberty pennant. Can't see the bottle labels well enough yet.

Good thought, but the pics of the interior of Dempsey's restaurant and bar don't look like this bar or the decor though this one is sort of decked out for a New Year's party. In The Godfather, the 1st one, Mikey Corleona waited in front of the Dempsey's to be picked up on his way to a meeting with Sollozzo and corrupt-cop McClusky where he made his "bones." Best quote from that movie,"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

--- Susan

7. KingofThings

OMG!!!!
    How in the Helsinki did I miss her there!!!! :(

lauragarnet and cxgirl like this.
  8. Ladybranch

The following S of L pennant that sold on eBay looks identical; however, the seller didn't know date. He only speculates on the 1940s-1950s
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-felt-pennant-NY-Statue-of-Liberty-New-York-Ellis-Island-flag-/201657190450?hash=item2ef3b48832:g:T18AAOSwWfFXj~Ab&nma=true&si=H5kGESbWGRLF%2B4qXRLfkRmwjEKI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

[​IMG]

Here's another one. It is on pinterest. Pinterest won't let the computer I'm on see the page long enough to determine it's exact location. Possibly later today will be on my iPad that is allowed into Pinterest. Maybe one of you can get it.
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/63543044721827630/

The pic:
    [​IMG]

Here's another one that is similar but not identical.
    http://www.gottahaveit.com/Vintage_New_York_Statue_of_Liberty_Pennant__c__1930_s_-ITEM16491.aspx

--- Susan

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
  9. KingofThings

NICE!
    Thanks! :):kiss:

10. Ladybranch

Those ears (possibly cauliflower ears??) first made me think of a boxer, manly art of self defense game, or wrestler; however, his nose doesn't look like it's been broken enough. His face isn't messed up enough for either of those sports. I also thought of a possible football player, a sport's personality, in Joe "Broadway Joe" Namath's bar or restaurant in NYC. Namath was forced by the NFL to sell it because I thinkkkk gambling was going on, but that was in what, the 1960s-70s - too late for this pic.

--- Susan

lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
  11. verybrad

The one on pinterest came from etsy but sold and no further information. Thanks for all the research!

Any other clues from his clothes? Looks like a double breasted jacket with wide lapels.

KingofThings likes this.
  12. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

He really looks familiar to me but I don't know why. I think there were some old cartoons or comics with a character spoofing a real person that looked like him.

Bakersgma and KingofThings like this.
  13. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

IMO he looks like a boxer or sports star

KingofThings likes this.
  14. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Yup. Me too. Can't place him, but very familiar looking.

KingofThings likes this.
  15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

He does not look familiar to me, but I agree that he does have that sort of "tough guy" look. I'm thinking 1940s, too. He could be a bar owner since he is standing behind the bar. I wonder whether this could be a press photo? Those usually have some labeling on them, though. It's not Jack Dempsey -- just quickly viewing photos of Dempsey is enough to show that. But could be "somebody else."

Since he does not look familiar to me I'll just point out the usual disclaimer that he may not be anybody famous at all. But maybe...

His hairstyle looks very modern.

KingofThings likes this.
  16. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I've seen a bunch of photos like this. The bar is a standard photography studio backdrop just like the moons, etc. It's just a studio shot.

Sean Allen and KingofThings like this.
  17. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Here's one I found quickly, but you'll see more.

eb0adcc6f3d033dea484e07f661144fa.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I disagree....not with the happy new year on the wall, and the way he's dressed and posed....just doesn't look staged to me !

lloyd249 and KingofThings like this.
  19. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Back in the day, patrons could buy "souvenir photos" of themselves at Jack Dempsey's Broadway Bar in NYC.

This may be totally off the wall, but I wonder if the guy in the photo isn't really a bartender (why would he be wearing that coat & winter scarf if he were working?) - or even anyone famous - but rather a patron posing for a souvenir picture.

KingofThings and Figtree3 like this.
  20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

With that expression on his face , he looks like he hasn't had a drink yet, but just came in off the street, took off his overcoat and was ushered to the bar for a candid photo !

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted