Anyone for Tea? (chinese tea set dating)

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by escmode, Jul 15, 2019.

1. escmode

escmode Member

Hey treasure seekers and tea drinkers!

Would anyone care to take a stab at dating this hand-painted tea-set? Condition is good so I’m presuming not that old (1980’s maybe) ?

Cheers,
    Patrick

DSC_0250_1 copy.jpg
    DSC_0254_1copy.jpg
    DSC_0266_1 - Copy.jpg DSC_0270_1 copy.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Your picture of the marks is way out of focus and doesn't have enough light on the characters. Can you take another shot?

Christmasjoy, judy and i need help like this.
  3. Bakersgma

FYI - Japanese not Chinese.

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id guess more 1920s. Love the little dabs of color.

Christmasjoy, judy and i need help like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Slight quick edit.....but needs to be closer and sharper of each character to really help!

DSC_0270_1 copy.jpg

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  6. escmode

escmode Member

I'm on my way home now, so will get a better shot of the label. Initially I thought Japanese, honest I did..lol, right up until posting this thread and changed my mind. Would be great if it was a 1920's set.

The porcelain is very thin, almost transparent.

Thanks guys.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  7. escmode

escmode Member

Hey Guys... marks below. Before taking these photos I thought the mark was actually a worn sticker, turns out it's painted and the gold characters are only visible when the light is hitting them at an angle!

Cheers,
    Patrick

Japanese Teapot Marks.png

judy likes this.
  8. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Japanese, I think. So-called eggshell porcelain because it’s so thin. Circa 1920s/30s, but you might find the mark at gotheborg.com under Japanese marks.

judy, escmode and Bakersgma like this.
  9. escmode

escmode Member

What points to the 1920s/30s? Is it because there was a boom in production during that period, so statistically speaking it's more likely to come from that era? Or are there other clues in the decoration, theme, material, pattern, mark or gilding? Trying to learn for myself, so don't need to hassle you guys every time I pick something up.

Also, can anyone help with translating the mark? I've scoured Gotheborg, and a bunch of other sites as well as google images using one of my own label images but come-up short! The mark is very stylized, which doesn't help.

Thanks,
    Patrick

judy likes this.
  10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Go back to the Satsuma section and look there. You may or may not find it.

judy, Bakersgma and escmode like this.
  11. Bakersgma

I've been through Gotheborg multiple times with no exact match. But I did see one entry in Japanese marks that, though inconclusive, described this style of mark as Kutani. The white background with the scene in predominantly grey and black doesn't appear much on the site and where it does, not exclusively in a single region.

Maybe @Mat has thoughts on this.

judy and escmode like this.
  12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

@Bakersgma
    After I posted Satsuma, I started questioning myself.
    The style of porcelain is more Kutani.

I was going on the black rectangle with gold writing. That seems to be more in keeping with the way Satsuma styles were signed.

I looked through both (rather quickly) and didn't see any match.

Isn't it also @Silver Wolf who can also read these marks

judy, escmode and Bakersgma like this.
  13. Bakersgma

I'm not sure who else knows Japanese better than Chinese, but you could be right about Silver Wolf, Pat.

And I may have mixed up the Satsuma vs Kutani reference - pottery style vs marking style. In any event, the mark itself did not match the example with the text appeared.

judy, escmode and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  14. escmode

escmode Member

I'm continuing to try and decipher the characters...

#1. first off, am I looking at 3 characters or 4?

#2. Is the first character 'Made' ?

#3. Is the 2nd character 'by' or 'right' ? (see below image)

4. Is the bottom row, just one big fat character or 2 joined together?

Thanks!

Japanese Tea Set Marks.JPG

judy likes this.
  15. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

from the style of the mark i believe this is japanese style mark,at the first i think it's 3 character but i can't find anymore information about that,also the chance of the mark only contain 2 character also possible since the japanese wrote the marks more artsy than chinese marks,the first character in chinese it's called shan in japanese (yama/zan) that meaning mountain, the second characer i think it's mean right or the bottom row is harder part for me to decipher it,i'll need some time,and i think it's not kinkozan mark,i tried to translate into japanese the first and the second character it sound yama migi or zan migi?i think it sound weird

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    judy likes this.
  16. Silver Wolf

the way the japanese and chinese wrote the marks,they have different style,i think chinese wrote with straight character and japanese looks like of more artsy,so sometimes the character looks more irregular

escmode and judy like this.
  17. escmode

escmode Member

Thanks Silver Wolf. I did some more digging myself and got some great info from a Japanese guy on a FB group.

The makers mark on the bottom translates as 'Iwano' (岩 = Iwa 野 =No). It was produced between the late 19th & early 20th century and painted by 'Iwano', an exporter based out of Yokohama. The decoration is typically 'Yokohama' in style with a motif of birds on porcelain delicately painted with the light ink wash technique.

18. Silver Wolf

ah so it was right only 2 character,glad you find the information,:rolleyes:

escmode likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted