Featured Anyone heard of “Crojona/Crotona SA” pottery steins??

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Miscstuff, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

At least I think two of them might be lidded “loving cup” handled steins. Not sure about the one that might have a wall hanging hole in it. One auction house thinks they are South Australian (S.A.) but SA could just as easily be South Africa and I can’t find any local reference. Keep ending up in Bulgaria/Russia for some strange reason. Knowing my luck they will be just up the street from me. I think the text is either Crojona or Crotona not sure. Does anyone know this outfit and can somebody please give me an idea as what they would be described as? The insides are glazed so waterproof etc.

Data

1/ 36.5cm high 2.5kg

2/ 33.5cm high 2.2kg

3/ 31cm high 2.4kg

Cheers
    Stephen

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

3. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

That's the only one I could find. I think the auction mob decided "SA" = South Australia.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The internet insists that Crotona is in the Bronx...
    And then there is Crotone in southern Italy.

Christmasjoy and Touchdry like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

SA = South America? Or:

SA Sociedad Anónima (Spanish company designation)
    SA Sociedade Anónima (Portuguese company designation)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Or Société Anonyme (the same as above, but French, Belgian, etc);)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

They look like studio pottery lidded vessels to me, perhaps 'SA' are the initials of the potter - interesting that the only other one found is also from Australia...

~Cheryl

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Marion Cullen

Marion Cullen New Member

Hi, I also have 4 pieces from this maker and I found all four in South Australia, where I live. I have been on various pottery sites looking for ID on these pieces with no luck so far.

9. Marion Cullen

Marion Cullen New Member

These are the 4 I have found, the two pink also have an added signature that reads May Erling/Mayerling

Attached Files:

Miscstuff, Fid and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted